Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup is one of those soups my family eats over and over! It’s ultra comforting and so easy to make. Add a loaf of my Whole Wheat French Bread and you are going to have the most comforting meal ever!
On cold winter days there is nothing quite like warming up to a cozy bowl of soup! You know I live with four boys who think they are men and they want to prove it in every thing they do. These boys perceive soup to be for sissies. Real men eat meat and potatoes. While we do have plenty of meat and taters meals in the menu rotation I do like to add soup once in a while. Okay fine, I could eat it almost everyday in the winter!
If you love soup as much as I do I just know you are going to love my Fresh Creamy Tomato Soup, Creamy Southwest Chicken Soup, and Ranch Potato Soup (the seasonings are spot-on in this one)! Heck, even my boys will eat all of these soups without complaining. I must admit though, you will never find a recipe for French Onion Soup on this blog. My boys would revolt!
This recipe calls for 2 cups of chicken. Rotisserie chicken works well, or check out my Easy Shredded Chicken post to learn about the fastest way and easiest way to shred chicken.
NOTE: I updated this recipe on 3/2017 because I have been making it a little differently than I used to make it. I’ve been making it in a stock pot on the stove and it’s faster and easier than making it in the slow cooker for me. The ingredient amounts and list has been altered just a little as well. I think you will like this new version…it’s just as delicious as the old version but simplified a bit!
Creamy Tortellini Soup just might become one of your favorites on chilly nights! Give me a bowl of soup that includes pasta and cheese and I’ll be a happy girl that’s for sure!
Creamy Chicken and Tortellini Soup
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cup water
- 13 ounces package frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups shredded or diced chicken
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add diced carrots, celery, and onions. Sautee until the carrots are tender-crisp.
- Add chicken broth, water, basil, and oregano. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Add tortellini noodles and bring to a boil, cook for 4 more minutes.
- Turn heat down to medium. Add cream of chicken soup, chicken, and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Add chopped spinach and stir. I like to roughly chop the spinach before adding it.
- You can also use fresh whole spinach. Be sure to chop it first. Or frozen spinach will work. Be sure to thaw it in a colander and squeeze excess water from the spinach before adding it to the soup.
- Salt and pepper are to taste. I usually ad about 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. I tend to like my soup on the salty side!