There is nothing that say’s welcome home like the smell of freshly baked bread! My Whole Wheat French Bread is a no-knead recipe and still produces a light fluffy loaf of bread!
It doesn’t matter how many times I explain to my boys that whole wheat bread is better for them than white bread they still stick loaves of white bread in the cart every time they go shopping with me. They tell me about all of their friends who have cool moms who buy white bread, as if I care! I’m not going to lie I like white bread too, and I buy it ALL the time so don’t feel bad for my boys, they aren’t deprived. However, I like wheat bread equally as well and prefer it because it is so much healthier. Okay…off my soapbox.
If you are looking for a delicious way to get a little more whole grains in your/your children’s diet Whole Wheat French Bread is a fantastic place to start. This recipe doesn’t require any kneading, if it did I likely wouldn’t make it. Each loaf is super soft and light! Just think about grabbing a warm slice of bread and slathering it in butter! It doesn’t get any better than that!
Step by step instructions for making French bread made with whole wheat.
Begin by adding warm water to a bowl. Sprinkle yeast and sugar over water. Let sit until bubbly. Usually about 15 minutes.
Add dry ingredients and oil.
Let it mix in stand mixer until combined. Check consistency to ensure a soft dough that’s just past the “not sticky” stage. Add a little more flour if the dough is still sticky.
Let the mixer “knead” the dough on low speed for 5 minutes.
Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place for about 10 minutes.
Punch dough down. You can use this as a stress reliever if you want!
Divide dough in half and shape into long loaves. Slice the tops of each loaf in a diagonal cut.
Place loaves on baking sheet. Brush tops of loaves with beaten egg.
Slice bread, slather with butter, and enjoy!
What to serve with French Bread?
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Tortellini
- Slow Cooker Cube Steak in Mushroom Sauce
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Ravioli Casserole
- Pesto Pasta Salad
- Breakfast Pizza
Whole Wheat French Bread
- 2 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 TBSP yeast
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 cup whole wheat flour add more as needed
- Combine warm water, yeast and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let sit for about 10 minutes until bubbly and activated.
- Add remaining ingrdients. Using a dough hook mix until combined. Check consistency of dough. Dough should be soft but not sticky. If it is too sticky add additional flour one Tablespoon at a time until consistency is soft.
- Continue mixing dough on low speed for 5 mintues.
- Cover bowl with towel and allow to sit in a warm place for 10 minutes. Punch dough down. Cover and repeat process tow more times for a total of 30 minutes of rising.
- After the third time divide the dough in half. Shape in two long loaves on a floured surface. Place loaves on a greased baking sheet.
- Cut diagonal slices in the tops of each loaf. Whisk egg whie. Brush with egg mixture.
- Cover and let rise about 15-20 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Let sit in bread pans for a couple minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack and let cool.