Creamy Beef Taco Soup made in the slow cooker is made with ground beef, black, beans, corn, taco seasoning, and cream cheese! Add your favorite taco toppings to the top and everyone will be happy!
This recipe takes about 15 minutes to put together, then let the CrockPot do its thing! It’s such a quick and easy meal!
My whole family LOVES tacos! This beef taco soup recipe is our favorite way to enjoy everything we love about tacos on those cold days! It’s perfect for soup season!
Years ago a friend shared her delicious taco soup recipe with me! It’s already amazing, but I decided to take her recipe and add cream cheese! Now this is our favorite taco soup recipe and I think it will quickly become yours too!
Making this hearty soup creamy takes it to a whole new level!
Table of contents
Why you’ll love it
- Quick and easy! Brown the ground beef, throw everything in the crock pot, and let it go! Dinner will be ready when you come home! It literally takes about 15 minutes of prep time!
- Tates amazing! This creamy taco soup has all the spicy flavors of tacos plus it’s creamy and decadent! Adding cream cheese makes it tangy and creamy all at the same time!
- Customizable! Make this taco soup recipe exactly the way you like it. It’s easy to swap chicken for beef or add extra veggies. Everyone gets to choose what they want to top it with. Anything that goes on top of tacos works well with taco soup!
- Ground Beef: Use lean ground beef
- Onion: Optional. I like the extra flavor, but my boys prefer leaving it out
- Tomato Sauce:
- Diced Tomatoes: I use homemade canned tomatoes. You can also buy diced tomatoes, or use Rotel with mild green chilies.
- Green Chiles: I use mild green chiles. Use medium, or spicy for more heat.
- Corn: Canned corn or freezer corn
- Kidney Beans and Black Beans: These are the traditional varieties of beans used in taco soup, you can use other beans such as red beans, pinto beans, or white beans
- Taco Seasoning: If you don’t have taco seasoning you can make your own homemade taco seasoning, or add 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1 Tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Ranch Seasoning: Optional. I love the added flavor
- Chicken or Beef Broth: Adjust the amount depending on how thick or thin you want your soup to be. Chicken broth makes the soup lighter, and beef broth makes it darker.
- Cream Cheese: I recommend using regular cream cheese because it is creamier than low-fat cream cheese. Use room-temperature cream cheese.
Taco soup toppings
Feel free to get creative, or keep it as simple, as you want! Here are a few of our favorite toppings!
- Sour Cream
- Grated Cheddar Cheese, Pepper Jack, Colby Jack, or Tex-Mex blend
- Corn chips, tortilla chips, or tortilla strips
- Diced tomatoes or salsa
- Diced avocados or guacamole
- Sliced olives
- Green Onions or scallions
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh lime juice
You are absolutely going to fall in love with how easy creamy beef taco soup is to make!
The full recipe and instructions are in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. Let’s talk about the steps!
Step 1: Brown the ground beef and diced onions over medium-high heat.
Step 2: Add the remaining ingredients (except cream cheese) to the slow cooker. Cook on low heat for 4-6 hours, or high heat for 3-4 hours.
Step 3: Add the cream cheese, without stirring, to the soup 20 minutes before serving.
Step 4: Put the lid back on. Just before serving stir the soup to incorporate the melted cream cheese.
Tips for success
This is a very flavorful soup. To add a kick of spice add a dash of cayenne pepper or hot sauce. The heat goes really well with the creamy soup.
To make the soup extra creamy add a splash of heavy cream just before serving.
Stove Top Instructions (30 minute meal)
It’s easy to make this recipe on the stovetop, although I like it better in the slow cooker.
- Brown the ground beef in a large soup pot, or Dutch oven.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except cream cheese. Simmer over medium heat for about 20-30 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese. Stir.
Refrigerate leftover soup in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. I almost like this soup better the next day. The flavorful taco spices have a chance to marry!
Reheat individual bowls of soup in the microwave.
Freeze the cooled soup in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw soup overnight in the fridge. Then reheat on the stovetop or microwave in individual bowls.
What to serve with creamy taco soup
Since this easy creamy taco soup recipe is basically a taco in a warm bowl of soup you don’t really need anything else. I do like to serve it with bread.
Other easy soup recipes
You need as many easy soup recipes as you can!
- Jalapeno Popper Soup
- Southwest Chicken Soup with Cream Cheese
- Cheesy Chicken Potato Soup (Instant Pot)
Slow Cooker Creamy Beef Taco Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 10 ounce cans diced tomatoes or Ro-tel
- 1 4 ounce diced green chilis
- 1 15.25 ounce can corn
- 1 15.5 ounce can kidney beans
- 1 14 ounce can black beans
- 1 ounce taco seasoning (1 packet)
- 1.5 ounces ranch seasoning (1 packet)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- diced tomatoes
- diced avocados
- chopped cilantro
- corn chips
- sour cream
- Dice onion. Brown ground beef and onions over medium-high heat until browned.
- Drain and rinse beans and corn. Add cooked ground beef and all the remaining ingredients, except the cream cheese, to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or high for 3-4 hours.
- About 20 minutes before serving, add room temperature cream cheese to the soup. Replace the lid and let rest. Just before serving stir until the cream cheese is melted.
- Serve with desired toppings.
- Add a few dashes of cayenne pepper or hot sauce for extra heat.
- Add a splash of heavy cream to make it even more decadent.
- Use Ro-tel instead of diced tomatoes and green chilis.