Jalapeno Soup is out of this world! It’s the best of White Bean Chicken Chili and Jalapeno Poppers in one hearty soup recipe! Bacon, cheese, chicken, beans, and cream cheese!
This soup is LOADED with flavor, but don’t worry…it’s NOT too spicy!
Soup is my favorite! It’s the best way to warm up on a cold day and is just so comforting! You are going to go CRAZY over this Jalapeno Popper Soup!
I know that because it’s taken 1st place at several chili cookoffs! That’s right! I’ve made it so many times and everyone always raves about it!
This post was updated in 2021 to include more detailed instructions. The recipe was already amazing and didn’t change one bit!
The BEST Jalapeno Soup Recipe:
- Easy instructions! I’ll walk you through it! I’ve made this soup a million times and it always turns out PERFECT!
- It’s a great recipe for company because it takes just minutes to make, it’s inexpensive, and everyone loves it!
- This recipe is flexible. You can make it on the stove-top, in the slow cooker, or in the pressure cooker. Everyone can decide how much they can handle!
- You need simple ingredients that are easy to keep on hand. Heavy cream is really the only ingredient that’s not a pantry staple. Oh, and bacon…which is a staple at my house!
- You adjust the heat! My family can’t handle spice, so I tone it down for them. When I make it my husband can eat it without rubbing ice cubes on his lips. That means it’s NOT spicy at all!
- Pile on as many toppings as you like! Think sour cream, cilantro, grated cheese, etc.
Jalapeno Soup Ingredients:
This soup really is a spin off traditional chicken chili and jalapeno poppers. You’re going to find ingredients for both tucked in here!
- Bacon (use real bacon bits to save time)
- Great Northern Beans – canned
- Shredded Chicken
- Chicken Broth
- Garlic Powder, Salt, Cumin, Oregano
- Cream Cheese
- Shredded Cheese – cheddar, Monterey jack, etc.
- Heavy Cream
- Fresh jalapenos are best! But, since I don’t always have them in my fridge I’m giving you some ideas for substitutions.
- I grow way too many jalapenos in my garden every year. I cut the seeds and membranes out and freeze them for recipes like this. Frozen jalapenos work great in this soup!
- Canned green chilis can be used. Choose mild, medium, or hot depending on how spicy you want the soup.
- If you really don’t like diced jalapenos, you can always blend them up. The soup will be more like a cream of jalapeno soup. It will also make the soup more green, similar to the color of a Green Goddess salad dressing.
You can use any kind of chicken you’d like.
- Fresh boneless skinless chicken works great.
- This is a great recipe for using canned chicken to make things really fast and easy.
- Rotisserie chicken is a great shortcut in this recipe.
- Or see check out my tips on shredding a whole bunch of chicken breasts and freezing it for later! Pulling a bag out on busy days is so handy!
Add as many toppings as you like! Or, keep it simple and just serve the soup as is!
- Sour Cream
- Grated Cheese
- Corn Chips
- Extra Bacon (which is always appropriate)
How to Make Chicken Jalapeno Soup
This soup is like cream of jalapeno soup thanks to cream cheese and heavy cream! The creamy soup base is out of this world! I could drink it straight from the bowl!
STEP 1: Set Instant Pot to Sauté and melt butter in the pan. It heats up fast so be sure your veggies are diced and ready to go.
STEP 2: Sauté onions, jalapenos, and bacon in a pressure cooker until cooked through. Bacon should be crispy and veggies should be soft.
STEP 3: Add beans, chicken, chicken broth, garlic powder, salt, cumin, and oregano. Stir. If you’re using raw boneless, skinless chicken breast go ahead and add it right now. It will be cooked through at the end of the cooking time. Then you can remove it and shred it with two forks, or using an electric mixer.
STEP 4: Set pressure cooker to high pressure for 10 minutes. Make sure the valve is closed. Quick release.
STEP 5: Add cream cheese and replace the lid. Let sit for about 10 minutes. The cream cheese will soften and can easily be stirred in.
STEP 6: Add cream. Stir.
STEP 7: Serve with your favorite toppings!
Follow the instructions above, except you are going to use a saucepan instead of an Instant Pot. Increase the cooking time in Step 4 to 20 minutes. Everything else will stay the same.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
Sauté the jalapenos, onions, and bacon before adding to the Crock-pot. Then a add all the ingredients except the cream cheese and heavy cream. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-6 hours. Shred chicken. Add cream cheese and let sit. Stir. Then add heavy cream.
Or, you can go the quick and easy route and throw everything in the slow cooker, except the cream cheese and heavy cream. Let it cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. Add raw chicken breasts with the rest of the ingredients and shred it before serving. Add shredded chicken and cream cheese. Stir. Add heavy cream. It seems like jalapenos get a little milder if they are sauteed. You decide if that’s important to you!
Jalapeno Soup FAQs:
It will last in the fridge for up to four days in the refrigerator.
Yes! This soup freezes really well! Freeze in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to three months.
Thaw frozen chili in the refrigerator overnight.
Reheat chili on the stovetop or in the microwave until warmed through.
Yes! Either use mild diced green chilis. Or make sure to remove membranes and seeds from jalapenos. Drizzle with olive oil and roast them at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Or boil the seeded jalapenos for about 5 minutes.
What to serve with Jalapeno Popper Soup?
Soup should be served with some kind of bread! Am I right? Here are a few really easy bread options that are fantastic served with any soup, or chili recipe!
- Marie Callendar’s Cornbread
- Butter Dips (these are amazing)
- Parmesan Garlic Rolls
- Garlic Knots
- Whole Wheat French Bread
- Garlic and Parmesan Rolls
- Parmesan Crusted Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Jalapeno Soup with Cheese and Chicken
Ingredients for Soup
- 1 onion diced
- 4 jalapenos seeds removed and diced
- 6 pieces bacon cut into pieces
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3 15.5 ounces great northern beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 14.5 ounces chicken broth
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3 Tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream straight from the carton
Toppings for Chili
- sour cream
- corn chips
- grated cheese
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté and melt butter in the pan.
- Sauté onions, jalapenos, and bacon in a pressure cooker until cooked through.
- Add beans, chicken, chicken broth, garlic powder, salt, cumin, and oregano. Stir. If you’re using raw boneless, skinless chicken breast go ahead and add it right now. It will be cooked through at the end of the cooking time. Then you can remove it and shred it with two forks, or using an electric mixer.
- Set pressure cooker to high pressure for 10 minutes. Make sure the valve is closed. Quick release.
- Add cream cheese and replace the lid. Let set for about 10 minutes. The cream cheese will soften and can easily be stirred in.
- Add cream. Stir.
- Serve with your favorite toppings!