This Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip is our favorite Christmas appetizer! It’s the best hot cream cheese dip because it’s creamy, cheesy, and loaded with flavor! We rarely order artichoke dip when we go out to eat because this homemade version is hard to beat, plus it’s really easy to make from scratch!
This post was originally written in 2013. It was updated in 2020 with new images and few few new suggestions.
I could seriously survive on appetizers alone! It’s makes even the most boring days feel like a party just because of the food!
This is the BEST artichoke dip recipe because it’s soooo creamy and dreamy…and it’s made without mayo! That’s a big deal for me because my hubby won’t eat hot dips with mayo.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
- It can be made ahead of time. Pull it out of the fridge and bake it before the party.
- It’s made with simple ingredients. Most of them are normal things to keep on hand, except the spinach. You can use frozen if you want.
- Easy directions! The hardest part is chopping the artichokes, spinach, and onion!
- Canned Artichokes – Quartered, hearts, or whole.
- Spinach – I like fresh baby spinach best because it’s pretty and I don’t like squeezing the water out of frozen spinach. You can use frozen though. Don’t use canned spinach.
- Onion – Yellow, white, or sweet onion
- Cream Cheese – Use full fat. Reduced-fat cream cheese has too much liquid in it and will make the dip thinner.
- Sour Cream – I like full fat.
- Butter – I like real. You could use margarine or olive oil.
- Cheese – A combination of Parmesan and Monterey Jack or cheddar.
- Seasonings – Season Salt, or regular salt, and pepper. Add hot sauce to make it spicy!
HOW TO MAKE SPINACH ARTICHOKE DIP
STEP 1: Sauté onion
STEP 2: Add cream cheese, sour cream, and cheeses. Stir until melted.
STEP 3: Add chopped spinach, artichokes, and cheese. Stir.
STEP 4: Pour in a baking dish.
STEP 5: Bake.
This dip is great served cold or warm. To heat up leftovers microwave until warmed through.
It will last in the fridge for up to three days. Freezing artichoke dip will alter the texture so it’s not a great dip to freeze.
Substitute sour cream or plain Greek yogurt for the mayo.
HOW TO SERVE SPINACH ARTICHOKE DIP
How to make it ahead of time
- Make the dip and pour it in a baking dish,.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Refrigerate until 30 minutes before you’re ready to serve it.
- Bake as directed adding 10 minutes to the total time because the dip is cold.
Can I serve this recipe cold?
Yes! It’s delicious served warm or cold! Sometimes we eat the leftovers cold, or we microwave them until warm.
What do serve with this dip?
- Crackers – Any kind will due. We like buttery crackers like Ritz.
- Tortilla Chips
- Crostini – My personal favorite!
- Pork Rinds – a keto win!
- Peppers – sliced peppers are a great healthy option. Perfect for low carb diets or keto.
OTHER CREAM CHEESE APPETIZERS:
- Warm Broccoli Dip – cheesy and loaded with bacon
- Dill Pickle Cheeseball – So easy and always a favorite party food!
- Creamy Salsa – 2 simple ingredients!
- Poolside Dip – A great make-ahead dip
- Jalapeno Popper Pinwheels – loaded with flavor
- Pimento Cheese Spread – so much better than store-bought
Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 14 ounces artichoke hearts
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon season salt adjust to taste
- dashes of hot sauce optional
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 3/4 cup Monterey Jack
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese divided
- Dice onion. Chop spinach and artichokes with a knife or in the food processor. Make sure you don't chop them too small if you're using the food processor. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9" x 9" baking dish. Set aside.
- Melt butter over medium heat. Add diced onion and saute until tender.
- Add cream cheese, sour cream, grated Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese, and half of the Parmesan cheese. Stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and add spinach, artichokes, and salt and hot sauce if desired. Taste and adjust seasonings. See note below.
- Pour in a prepared baking dish. Cover with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Switch oven to broil and broil for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden brown. Watch it close because it can burn easily.
- If you are serving this dip with salted crackers or tortilla chips take that into consideration when taste testing to adjust seasonings.
- Add hot sauce a little at a time until it’s the right amount of spicy for you.
- Any kind of good melting cheeses will work in place of cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese. You could use pepper jack, Colby jack, or mozzarella.