Hello comfort food! There’s no better way to warm up on chilly days than snuggling up to a piping hot bowl of Cheesy Chicken Potato Soup, or chowder as some people call it! This soup is full of potatoes, chicken, and carrots all nestled in the most flavorful, creamy and cheese soup base! It’s easy to make in the pressure cooker or right on the stove top!
To be completely honest with you, my boys always turn their noses up a little bit whenever they find out I’m making soup for dinner. They think they are far to manly for eating soup. Soup is a starter not a meal you know!
Several years ago I went to a church meeting and they served this Cheesy Chicken Potato Soup to us and I fell in love with it. Of course I wanted the recipe and I’ve been making it ever since. I’m happy to report, even my boys like this soup. Heck, Justin requests it from time to time! That’s a win at my house!
My kids have been out of school for potato harvest break. That’s right! They get two weeks off every fall so the kids can help harvest those beautiful Idaho potatoes you love! My family doesn’t raise potatoes, but we still had PLENTY of work for our kids to do.
The boys helped pour what seemed like a million loads of concrete, it seemed like even more than that when I got the bill in the mail! Eeek! They also helped take care of the cows, chop corn, and all kinds of other odds and ends jobs we need to hurry and finish up before the snow flies.
I’m a planner type of person and wanted to plan out what jobs we wanted to accomplish over the break, and what fun activities we want to do. I had a handful of tasks I really wanted the boys to help me with. Before the harvest break even started I knew Justin would keep them so busy I wouldn’t get a chance to use them at all. I was right! Well, mostly right!
Payson helped me with quite a few little yard work tasks and Carson helped me dig my potatoes. Other than that I was on my own, even though I spent the whole morning helping pour concrete! Why is that I raise them up from babies and as soon as they are big enough to be really fantastic help they are gone? Oh well, I appreciated the little bit of help I got.
Since we dug up all the potatoes in my garden I knew I had to make soup with them! If you’ve never had a potato straight from the garden or the field you’re missing out! They are so fluffy and buttery! Oh man, I love my Idaho potatoes!
For this recipe I cut up all my veggies and add them to my pressure cooker with a little chicken broth and cook them until they are tender. Of course you can either leave skins on the potatoes or peel them off. I think the red skins are gorgeous, and not peeling is quicker so that’s what I go with!
Several different kinds of chicken can be used for this recipe; shredded, rotisserie, or diced. Check out my guide for the easiest shredded chicken!
The creamy white sauce can either be made in right in your pressure cooker or on the stove top. Either way works really well. Just be sure to add plenty of cheese because it really makes a difference! Oh, and this stuff makes the most amazing biscuits and gravy so make extra for a quick breakfast!
Be sure to check out my Dairy Farmer’s Wife’s Cheese Guide for tips on quickly grating and storing cheese in bulk.
Here are a few other soup recipes I think you’ll love!
- Creamy Southwest Chicken Soup
- Fresh Creamy Tomato Soup
- Cowboy Pulled Pork Chili
- Slow Cooker Creamy Taco Soup
- Cheesy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Ranch Potato Soup
Homemade bread is a must have to serve with soup! These are a few of my favorites!
- Butter Dips
- Whole Wheat French Bread
- Foolproof Wheat Bread
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Monkey Bread
- Easy Parmesan and Garlic Dinner Rolls
The boys are back in school and the fight over who gets to have them as helpers after school continues. I’m not sure why I keep losing the fight. Today is going to be different though! Justin took my youngest two boys deer hunting and that means I get Carson to myself! I have a chore list ready for him, and when he gets them all crossed off there’ll be a hot bowl of Cheesy Chicken Potato Soup waiting for him! Enjoy!
Cheesy Chicken Potato Soup
- 1 lrg. Chicken Breast
- 3 c. Chicken Broth
- 2 c. Potatoes Diced
- 1 c. Carrots Diced
- 1/2 medium Onion Diced
- 1 c. Celery Diced
- 1 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Cracked black pepper
- 1/4 c. Butter
- 1/3 c. Flour
- 2 c. milk
- 2 c. shredded cheese Cheddar, or Monterey
- shredded cheese
- parsley chopped
- bacon fried and crumbled
- Add chicken, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt, pepper, and chicken broth to a pressure cooker. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Quick release.
- Remove vegetables, and broth from pressure cooker. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from pressure cooker and shred, or dice it. Set aside.
- Set pressure cooker to sautee setting. Melt butter. Add flour. Whisk until combined and slightly golden brown. Slowly, and while whisking add milk. Continue whisking and cooking until sauce has thickened. Add grated cheese to the sauce. Stir until melted.
- Add vegetables and shredded chicken back to the pressure cooker with the white sauce. Stir to combine.
- At this point the chowder can be left in the pressure cooker on the “soup” setting for up to an hour, or it can be served immediately. I prefer serving it immediately.
- Serve with desired garnishes.
Stove Top Method
- Add chicken, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt, pepper, and chicken broth to a stock pot. Bring to a boil and cook until veggies are tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Shred chicken and return to stock pot.
- In a separate sauce pan melt butter. Add flour. Whisk until combined and slightly golden brown. Slowly, and while whisking add milk. Continue whisking and cooking until sauce has thickened. Add grated cheese to the sauce. Stir until melted.
- Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables in the stock pot. Stir. Serve with desired garnishes.