Baked BBQ Meatballs are amazing on their own, but stuff them with mozzarella cheese and you’ve got a whole new level of goody deliciousness! You can bake them in the oven or even on the smoker! Baste the meatballs with barbecue sauce right before they’re done baking and it will get caramelized add the BEST flavor!
Summer is in full swing and the boys are BUSY! This past week they have been harvesting our first cutting of hay. They have been in equipment all day every day. Justin doesn’t like to let the swather sit while the family eats lunch so the boys take turns eating. I feel like my kitchen is a cafeteria that is open all day long.
This past week I needed a few meals that could be served all throughout the day, or that could be microwaved. My boys love Sweet and Sour Meatballs and Zucchini Parmesan Meatballs so I decided to try out this Barbecue Mozzarella Meatballs version. And let me tell you they were good!
How to make BBQ Meatballs in the oven
I had a few extra minutes in the morning before I had to head to the field and it was just enough time to make the meatballs and stick them in the fridge. If you are in a hurry to get your meatball made there are a few tricks that will help you out.
- Use store-bought bread crumbs. If you’re into making your own you can freeze them to use later!
- Grate lots of mozzarella cheese then stick extra in the freezer. It’s so easy to pull the cheese out of the freezer and throw it into the meatballs!
- I love Gourmet Gardens Garlic in a tube! It’s so much easier than peeling and chopping garlic!
- You can use my homemade barbecue sauce, or to make it faster use store-bought barbecue sauce instead of making it from scratch!
- I use a cookie scoop to make imperfect meatballs and call them “rustic meatballs”!
I didn’t have time to stuff my meatballs with mozzarella so I mixed grated cheese into the whole mixture and it was pretty dang tasty and probably a hundred times easier too!
It’s completely okay to make these mozzarella meatballs ahead of time and stick them in the fridge until it’s time to eat. A little before dinnertime pop them in the oven and bake them up!
What to serve with BBQ Meatballs
My family loves meat and potatoes kinds of meals! Easy side dish recipes are a lifesaver for me because I usually don’t think about them until it’s too late to make anything that takes much time. I think these will fit your busy schedule perfectly!
- Smashed Potatoes – can easily be made ahead of time
- Homemade Potato Chips – baked
- 3 Bean Salad – best made ahead
- Slow Cooker Baked Beans – really great with any bbq meat
- Cornbread Recipe – a Marie Callendar’s Copycat
- Slow Cooker Creamed Corn – cheese makes it even better
- Lemon Orzo – with parmesan
- Tomato Basil Pasta – easy salad
- Grilled Zucchini – in a foil packet
- Marinated Cucumbers – a great summer side dish
I’m going to add these just in case you need a few more easy ground beef recipes! Beef is my fave!
- Beef Burrito Skillet – use it to make nachos, salad, tacos, burritos, and more
- Slow Cooker Taco Soup it’s creamy and amazing
- Mexican Meatballs – with lots of cheese
- Italian Parmesan Meatballs – they have zucchini and they’re so yummy
- Spaghetti Sandwich – so stinking good, and can be made ahead
Grab the Baked BBQ Meatballs recipe
For now, we’re still taking turns eating lunch! That’s okay though! The boys are working hard and that’s a hundred times better than having them be bored! And let me tell you, they were pretty excited when they found out we were having BBQ meatballs for lunch! I have a feeling your family will feel the same way!
Baked BBQ Meatballs with Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp season salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- In a mixing bowl whisk eggs. Add remaining ingredients, except barbecue sauce. Stir gently until combined.
- Using a cookie scoop (mine is about 2 T size) form meat into meatballs. Set in a greased baking pan.
- At this point you can either refrigerate meatballs to be baked later or bake immediately.
- When you are ready to bake meatballs, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake meatballs uncovered for 18-20 minutes depending on the size of your meatballs. Baste meatballs with barbecue sauce and return to the oven for 3-5 more minutes.
- If you are feeling fancy garnish with fresh herbs. If not they are going to be amazing just the way they are!
tried this recipe?
Make sure to share it with me! Leave a review or tag me on Instagram
Pin it for later!
This is amazing post
Amy Engberson says
Thanks! Cheese makes everything better!
This is looking Nice and delicious. Thank you for sharing this tasty BBQ Metabals Recipe. It is useful to many.
I cant believe I found some recipes I dont have. Thank you.
Amy Engberson says
Yay! I’m thrilled you found recipes you’ve been searching for!
Naveen Sohail says
Wow, this recipe is so unique and different love to try this one.
Amy Engberson says
There’s something magical about adding cheese to meatballs! It takes them over the top! Enjoy!
Bruce Deniger says
Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. My mouth just started salivating. Can i prepare the same thing using chicken?
Amy Engberson says
Hi Bruce! I’ve actually never eaten ground chicken before, probably because we raise beef and I have a whole freezer full of it! I’m not sure you need to add and extra egg to help keep the meatballs together since chicken has less fat in it. Let me know how it goes if you try it!
Thanks for the recipe. I like meatballs. Thanks
Thank you for this beauty ! I will be back for more !