Easy Mexican Meatballs are one of the best weeknight dinner recipes because they’re packed with flavor! They’re smothered in enchilada sauce, loaded with cheese, and only take a few minutes to throw together!
This recipe was updated in 2020 to include new text.
Life is crazy and that’s why dinner needs to be easy! This Mexican Meatballs recipe is a winner at my house! We LOVE authentic Mexican food more than anything! Tex Mex ranks right up there too! Like I said, it’s a super easy recipe to make, plus it has lots of cheese!
My son is living in Oklahoma City and is learning Spanish! He’s been eating dinner with families from Mexico and he’s in love with authentic Mexican food! Apparently, Mexican meatballs are called albondigas. They are made with pork, chicken, beef, or turkey. We make ours with beef.
Sometimes the meatballs are served with rice and sometimes in soup. We always serve them with my Instant Pot Mexican Rice!
How to Make Mexican Meatballs
You could make these meatballs in the slow cooker, but I really prefer to put them in a casserole dish and bake them. Evenings are always busy so most of the time I assemble the dish, then put it in the fridge until about 30 minutes before it’s time to eat. All that’s left is putting them in the oven and baking them!
STEP 1: Whisk eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add ground beef, oats (or crushed corn chips) and spices.
STEP 2: Mix meat mixture together until combined. You don’t want to over mix or the meatballs will be tough.
STEP 3: Shape meat into meatballs. I like using a cookie scoop because it’s easier to make meatballs that are all the same size.
Use any type of enchilada sauce you like, we prefer mild! Homemade enchilada sauce is great too!
STEP 4: Pour enchilada sauce over.
NOTE: You can refrigerate the meatballs at this point and bake 40 minutes before dinner.
STEP 5: Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
STEP 6: Uncover. Sprinkle cheese over the top. Bake for 5-10 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
What to serve with meatballs
If you’re looking for Mexican side dishes to serve with this meal, here are a few great ideas to get you started! I’ll even add a drink recipe too!
- Refried Bean Dip – serve it as an appetizer or along with dinner
- Spanish Rice – can be made on the stove top or in the pressure cooker.
- Tomatillo Salsa – with a hint of lime
- Zucchini Salsa – I learned how to make this last time I went to Mexico
- Pioneer Woman’s Black Beans – really yummy
- Brazilian Limeade – with strawberries
- Mojito Pie – salty pretzel crust with creamy lime filling. A no-bake pie.
Ground Beef Meatball Recipes
Since we raise our own beef we almost always eat 100% ground beef. Plus I love the flavor of beef! Meatballs are an inexpensive, frugal, make-ahead meal. That makes them great for families! Here are some of our favorites!
- Zucchini Meatballs – Italian style!
- Easiest Sweet and Sour Meatballs – Such an easy and tasty recipe.
- BBQ Meatballs – Stuffed with cheese!
- Swedish Meatballs – from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
Be sure to check out these other Mexican Ground Beef Recipes too!
- Beef Burrito Skillet – quick and easy recipe
- Ground Beef Burritos – a 5-minute meal
- Burrito Won ton Cups – a really fun appetizer or main dish recipe
- Mexican Dip – It has beef, corn, and beans
- Baked Mexican Casserole – with corn chips on top
- Mexican Mac and Cheese – you’ll never know it was a box of mac and cheese
Grab my Mexican Meatball Recipe
If that cheese isn’t calling your name…we don’t have much in common! This is a dreamy meal! Feel free to make a sandwich, called a Torta in Spanish. You can also roll it up with rice inside a tortilla! No matter how you serve it I think it’s going to be a hit!
Mexican Meatballs with Cheese
- 1 1/2 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cups oats or crushed corn chips
- 2 eggs
- 10 oz. red enchilada sauce divided (I used mild)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce optional
- 2 cups grated cheese cheddar, Monterey jack, and Colby jack, and pepper jack are all good choices
- cilantro for garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk eggs. Add ground beef, 1/4 cup of enchildad sauce, oats (or crushed corn chips), and all spices.
- Shape meat mixure into meatballs. I like to use a cookie scoop. Set meatballs in prepared baking dish.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over meatballs.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle cheese over meatballs. Bake for 5-10 more minuntes or until cheese is melted.