There are grilled cheese sandwiches and then there are Dill Pickle Grilled Cheese Sandwiches! There are so many reasons to love this pickle and cheese sandwich; it is out of this world gooey and amazing on the inside, the buttery parmesan and dill seasoning crust is spot on, and then you get addicting dill pickles inside which means you can say you ate your veggies today! You just can’t go wrong with that!
Where are my dill pickle lovers?
There really is something magical a pickle and cheese sandwich. Adding pickles just adds the best “punch” of flavor!
Besides that, grilled cheese sandwiches are so EASY to make. And you only need the most simple ingredients you probably already have on hand.
Dill Pickle Grilled Cheese Ingredients:
Dill Pickle Grilled Cheese Sandwiches get an extra little dose of dill yumminess because the outsides of the bread are spread with garlic parmesan dill butter! It’s divine! It would be every bit as amazing slathered on bread and toasted under the broiler. It’s a must-have element of this sandwich though! It’s crispy and savory and buttery and so perfect!
For the Sandwich:
- BREAD: I like white bread for making grilled cheese sandwiches. You could also use French bread, or even wheat bread if you want to make it a bit healthy.
- CHEESE: Provolone is perfect in this sandwich, but you can also use cheddar, white cheddar, mozzarella, pepper jack, or any good melting cheese.
- DILL PICKLES: Cut spears into thin strips, or use pickle chips (you know that ones that are cut into circles?)
For the Herb Butter:
- BUTTER: I’m always going to suggest real butter! It’s the best.
- PARMESAN CHEESE: Either from the green can, or freshly grated.
- DILL WEED: It’s optional but so good and totally makes the sandwich!
- GARLIC SALT
How to Make the BEST Grilled Cheese:
How to make dill butter:
STEP 1: Mix room temperature butter, dill weed, garlic salt, and parmesan cheese together. Set aside.
How to make grilled cheese and pickle sandwich:
STEP 1: Spread dill butter on the outside of one slice of bread.
STEP 2: Layer a slice of cheese, sliced pickles, and parmesan cheese on the other side of the bread.
STEP 3: Add a top piece of bread to the sandwich and spread outside with dill butter. Heat skillet to medium heat. You don’t want the skillet to get too hot so medium is about as high as you’re going to want to go.
STEP 4: Cook the sandwich. Set the sandwich butter side down in the skillet. The sandwich will stick to the pan until the parmesan is golden brown and crispy. Don’t worry! It will release when it’s ready!
STEP 5: Flip the sandwich and cook on the second side until it’s golden brown. Watch it closely!
STEP 6: Remove from skillet to a cutting board. Rest for a minute. Cut in half. Serve.
Other Grilled Cheese Sandwiches:
Seriously! It’s doesn’t get any more comforting than a grilled cheese sandwich!
Did you guys know there is such a thing as “National Grilled Cheese Day?” I’m not sure who makes up all of these quirky holidays and even beyond that who has time to not only find out when they all are but to actually celebrate them?
I will admit I was a little bummed when I realized I missed National Grilled Cheese Day because in my mind there aren’t very many foods more comforting than grilled cheese!
- Parmesan Crusted Grilled Cheese – The PERFECT grilled cheese
- Fried Egg and Cheese Sandwich – Best breakfast sandwich ever
- Turkey & Cranberry Grilled Cheese – Great way to use Thanksgiving leftovers
- Prime Rib Grilled Cheese – Best leftover prime rib recipe
- Pear & Cheese Sandwich – Fruit and Cheese were meant to be together!
Yes! Not that I needed one more reason to eat grilled cheese sandwiches, but I just in case…it’s National Grilled Cheese Month in April! I dare you to eat them every day in April!
Oh, and check out this super fun article about the best kinds of cheeses for making grilled cheese sandwiches!
Grilled Cheese with Dill Pickles Recipe
Dill Pickle Grilled Cheese Sandwich
For the Sandwiches
- 2 slices white bread
- 2 slices provolone cheese see note
- 2 slices dill pickles
For the Dill Butter
- 1 Tablespoon butter room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- dash garlic salt
How to Make Dill Butter
- Mix room temperature butter, dill weed, garlic salt, and parmesan cheese together. Set aside.
How to Make Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Spread half of the dill butter on the outside of one slice of bread.
- Layer a slice of cheese, sliced pickles, and second slice of cheese on the unbuttered side of the bread.
- Add the second slice of bread on top of the sandwich and spread outside with dill butter.
- Heat skillet to medium heat. You don’t want the skillet to get too hot, medium is about as high as you’re going to want to go. This allows the cheese inside to get melted before without burning the outside of the bread.
- Cook the sandwich. Set the sandwich butter side down in the skillet. The sandwich will stick to the pan until the parmesan is golden brown and crispy. Don’t worry! It will release when it’s ready!
- Flip the sandwich and cook on the second side until it’s golden brown. Watch it closely!
- Remove from skillet to a cutting board. Rest for a minute. Cut in half. Serve.
- Butter: Butter is the best. You can use mayonnaise instead if you’d like.
- Cheese: Any melting cheese will work great. Cheddar, pepper jack, Monterey jack, or mozzarella are great options.
- Bread: I like white bread best for grilled cheese sandwiches. Wheat bread is great for a healthy sandwich. French bread is a great option too.