This fried egg sandwich is everything you love about a classic grilled cheese plus it has a fried egg tucked inside! Use whatever cheese you like; cheddar, Monterey jack, pepper jack, mozzarella, etc. Add bacon, ham, tomatoes, avocados, or spinach and enjoy the best breakfast grilled cheese recipe ever!
What’s the best bread for grilled cheese?
We want the outside of the bread to be nice and crusty and the insides to be gooey! Am I right?
- Grated cheese melts faster than sliced cheese. If you are using sliced cheese slice it thin.
- The right thickness of bread is important. Too thin of bread is why a grilled cheese is soggy. Too thick and the cheese won’t melt.
Perfect Fried Egg Sandwich
This fried egg and cheese sandwich is the one meal I always know I can make at the last minute and the kids will LOVE it! It’s the trick up my sleeve breakfast or dinner idea I can always count on! We all need at least one of those 5-minute dinner ideas!
They are quick and easy to make, and all the ingredients are “normal” things to have on hand.
Grilled cheese sandwiches happen to be one of my very favorite comfort foods in the world! I’ve made a million different varieties of them and honestly haven’t found one I don’t love!
But this breakfast egg sandwich is one of the most popular at my house. What’s not to love about a fried egg (and if that’s not your thing go ahead and scramble it) and lots of gooey cheese sandwiched between two crispy and buttery fried to golden brown perfection pieces of bread?
What you want to know about the BEST fried egg sandwich!
Table of contents
Egg and Cheese Sandwich Ingredients
You need the simplest ingredients for this sandwich! And there’s lots of wiggle room for substitutions. Use whatever you have lurking around!
- BREAD: We love white bread the most.
- CHEESE: Sliced cheddar, pepper jack, Colby jack, Swiss, mozzarella, or Monterey Jack are all great. Choose something that melts well.
- EGGS: Fried is our favorite. Scrambled, poached, or hard-boiled will work too.
- MEAT: Bacon, deli ham, Canadian bacon (my oldest even likes bologna so nothing is off limits here)
- BUTTER: Real butter is best! I like salted. You can also use mayonnaise.
- MAYONNAISE: Optional. For spreading on the inside of the sandwiches. Cream cheese would be amazing too! Some people like ketchup.
- EXTRAS: Sliced tomatoes, onions, spinach, mushrooms, avocado, peppers, etc.
How to make a fried egg sandwich
If you know how to fry an egg and make grilled cheese you’ve got this! There really isn’t much more to making a breakfast grilled cheese than that!
If you’re new in the kitchen I’m excited for you because you’re going to love making this! Let me walk you through the details!
Little Dairy on the Prairie Pro Tip: Heating the skillet to medium heat is important! The cheese will melt and the sandwich will be crispy but not burnt!
STEP 1: Spread butter on one side of two slices of bread, spread mayonnaise on the other side of the bread. Slice or grate enough cheese to cover bread slices, about 2 slices.
STEP 2: Fry an egg; sunny side up, over easy, over medium, or over well. You do you! Make it just the way you like it. Set aside.
STEP 3: Add a layer of cheese, top with an egg, bacon, and whatever other extras you want.
STEP 4: Heat a skillet over medium heat (I like to use a cast-iron skillet). Add the sandwich, butter side down. Continue frying the sandwich until the bottom piece is golden brown.
STEP 6: Flip egg and cheese sandwich over and grill until the other side is golden brown.
STEP 7: Remove to a cutting board and let cool for just a minute. Slice. Serve warm!
Other Breakfast Ideas with Eggs
We’re totally into easy breakfast recipes around here. All three of my boys work on the farm and let me tell you, they are always hungry! Here are some of the ones we like very best!
- Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole – with eggs, sausage, and cheese
- Egg and Cheese Quesadillas – made with leftover hard-boiled eggs.
- Ham and Cheese Sliders – baked sandwiches
- Egg and Cheese Breakfast Calzones – make-ahead and freezable
- Ham and Cheese Rolls – with scrambled eggs
- Ham, Egg, and Cheese Monkey Bread– make ahead
- French Bread Breakfast Pizza – really easy recipe
Fried Egg Sandwich Recipe
My Dill Pickle Grilled Cheese recipe has been visited over a half a million times! It’s the most popular post on my site and for a good reason too! It’s incredible! My Parmesan Grilled Cheese is amazingly crispy on the outside too! Be sure to check them out for more awesome grilled cheese inspiration
I think you’ll love this Breakfast Grilled Cheese Melts every bit as much as those! This fried egg sandwich is the perfect comfort food no matter what time of the day you serve it!
Grilled Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich
- 2 slices Artesano Brioche Bread
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1 egg
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese grated or sliced
- 2 slices bacon or deli ham
- 1 TBSP Mayonnaise optional
Optional Grilled Cheese Addins
- fresh spinach
- sauteed onions, mushrooms, and peppers
- sliced tomatoes
- Spread butter on one side of two slices of bread, spread mayonnaise on the other side of the bread if desired. Slice or grate enough cheese to cover bread slices, about 2 slices. Set aside.
- Fry an egg; sunny side up, over easy, over medium, or over well. You do you! Make it just the way you like it.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat (I like to use a cast-iron skillet). Add one slice of bread, butter side down.
- Add a layer of cheese, top with an egg, bacon, and whatever other extras you want.
- Top with the other piece of bread, butter side up. Continue frying the sandwich until the bottom piece is golden brown.
- Flip egg and cheese sandwich over and grill until the other side is golden brown.
- Remove to a cutting board and let rest for just a minute. Slice. Serve warm!