I hadn’t ever indulged in prime rib until after I was married. It’s a luxury that I never knew. My farmer took me to dinner one night and we ordered prime rib. It was either a blessing on his part or a curse! It might have been a curse for my farmer because at first bite, prime rib became my new favorite food. It’s pretty much all I wanted to eat for a few years! It was a blessing to my farmer because I am one of those people who eats out and tries to figure out how to duplicate the food the whole time I’m eating it. And I must admit, I probably won’t pay to eat prime rib at a restaurant ever again! I’m learning to make a mean prime rib!
Last time I made prime rib I ended up with a little bit leftover. I knew I wanted to slice it extra thin and make a grilled cheese sandwich out of it! What’s better than a Prime Rib Grilled Cheese Sandwich?
Adding sauteed peppers and onions seemed like the right thing to do. You could spread a layer of horseradish on the bread too, if you are into that sort of thing.
And more cheese never hurt anything. It’s a grilled cheese after all!
If you are making prime rib for Christmas I would suggest ordering a little bigger roast than you think you will need. You are going to want a little extra so you can make this mouth watering Prime Rib Grilled Cheese Sandwich! If fact, I think I might have this sandwich for breakfast the morning after Christmas!
Prime Rib Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 slices bread sourdough would be delicious
- 2 T. horseradish sauce optional
- 4 T. butter softened
- thinly sliced prime rib as much as you want
- 1/2 green pepper sliced
- 1/4 onion sliced
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- Saute onions and peppers in a tablespoon of butter until they are tender. Set aside.
- Spread outsides of two pieces of bread to make a sandwich.
- Place a slice of cheese on unbuttered side of the bread. Then layer with half of the sliced prime rib. Top with half of the peppers and onion. Add a slice of cheddar cheese to the top. Spread the unbuttered side of one slice of bread with horseradish sauce if you want. Put other buttered piece of bread on top to make sandwich, buttered side outside.
- Repeat with other two slices of bread to make another sandwich.
- Grill sandwich over medium heat until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Slice in half and serve immediately!