A Turkey Sandwich is a classic and always a great option for a quick and easy lunch or dinner. Making it a hot turkey and cheese sandwich takes it to a whole new level! Plus, I’ve got lots of turkey sandwich ideas to customize it just the way you like (think bacon and avocado or cranberries and apples)!
This is the perfect way to use up Thanksgiving leftovers, or you can grab roasted turkey, or deli turkey from the grocery store and make it anytime.
I love hosting Thanksgiving dinner for lots of reasons and one of them is because I LOVE the leftovers! Eating them the day after Thanksgiving is just as much a tradition as the actual Thanksgiving dinner!
Everyone in my family likes to add different things to their sandwich and it’s always fun to see what everyone comes up with!
One thing we all agree on is that they are BEST when they are fried. It doesn’t get any more comforting than a turkey grilled cheese, or turkey melt.
I’m giving you a list of what you really “need” to make this sandwich, plus a few ideas for customizing it just the way you want!
- Bread – White bread, whole wheat bread, or French bread. For a healthy turkey sandwich go for whole wheat bread.
- Cheese – The best cheese for turkey sandwiches are provolone, gouda, mozzarella, Colby jack, Monterey jack, and cheddar are all great options. You don’t want the cheese to overpower the other ingredients. It also needs to melt easily if you’re grilling it.
- Butter – Real butter is best. You can also use mayonnaise if you’d like.
- Turkey – Leftover turkey breast (we like smoked turkey), deli meat, or roasted turkey. The thinly sliced meat is best because it’s easier to bite without the whole sandwich falling apart.
- Optional Extras- cranberry sauce, apple, bacon, avocado, tomato, lettuce, sprouts, and mustard.
Be sure to cut the bread into slices no more than half an inch thick. If they are too thick the outsides of the bread will be golden brown and the insides won’t be melted yet.
Other Turkey Sandwich Ideas
The sky really is the limit here! You can add whatever cranks your tractor. Here are a few of our faves that are a spin on a classic turkey and cheese sandwich.
- Turkey Sandwich with Avocado – Add sliced avocado after the sandwich is toasted. Bacon is also fantastic. You can drizzle ranch dressing over the sandwich too.
- Turkey Club Sandwich – Toast the bread. Spread insides with mayo. Add turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and Monterey jack cheese.
- Open-Faced Turkey Sandwich – Toast bread, spread with butter and mayo, and add your favorite toppings.
- Turkey BLT Sandwich – Toast the bread. Butter insides. Add sliced tomato, lettuce, bacon, turkey, and mayo.
- Turkey Cuban Sandwich – Add dill pickles, mustard, and ham. Make it as a grilled cheese sandwich or toast the bread first.
- Turkey Cranberry Sandwich – Spread the insides of bread with cranberry sauce before grilling the sandwich. Gouda cheese is a great option here.
- Turkey Apple Sandwich – add sliced apples. Honeycrisp is great. You can also add cranberry sauce too.
- Turkey Salad Sandwich – To make it a healthy turkey sandwich use my Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad Recipe except using turkey instead of chicken.
- Thanksgiving Turkey Sandwich – Toast bread, add warm mashed potatoes, and leftover turkey, and drizzle with warm gravy.
If you’re making these sandwiches as HOT sandwiches, be sure to add any ingredients you wouldn’t normally serve warm (lettuce, sprouts, etc.) after the sandwich has cooked.
How to make a grilled turkey and cheese sandwich
This really is such a quick and easy meal. We survive on leftovers and this is a perfect example of how we use leftovers throughout the week.
Of course, you can make this as a traditional cold sandwich, but you can’t go wrong with a hot sandwich and gooey cheese!
Heat a skillet over low-medium heat. It’s really important to use a lower heat so the cheese will melt inside, and the outside will be golden brown. If you turn the heat up, you’ll have a cold center and burnt outside. Trust me, it’s worth being patient here for the perfect turkey melt!
Build the sandwich
- Generously butter the outsides of the bread and place the butter side down in the skillet.
- Place a slice of cheese on top of each piece of bread.
3. Add sliced turkey to one side. Add bacon to the other side. Let cook until the bottom is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
4. Add any extra sandwich ideas (tomatoes, pickles, avocado, lettuce, etc).
5. Put slices of bread together, buttered side out, to make the sandwich.
6. Remove from the skillet and cool for about 1 minute. Cut. Serve
Other Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes
We are seriously in LOVE with grilled cheese sandwiches! You really can stick any kind of meat, use a melty cheese, and add on whatever you want! Whether you’re eating it for a quick lunch, or making it to dunk in Homemade Tomato Soup it hits the spot!
- Dill Pickle Grilled Cheese Sandwich – crusted with dill weed and parmesan cheese
- Breakfast Egg Sandwich – a grilled egg and cheese sandwich
- Parmesan Crusted Grilled Cheese Sandwich – the BEST grilled cheese EVER!
- Spinach Grilled Cheese – kids will devour this sandwich…including the spinach!
Other hot sandwiches
- Ham and Cheese Sliders – make-ahead party sandwiches
- Roast Beef Sliders – cheddar and roast beef melts
- Breakfast Sliders – the easiest make-ahead breakfast slider ever
- Pizza Sliders – everything you love about pizza without having to make the crust
The BEST Turkey Sandwich Recipe
We’ve definitely learned to master making sandwiches at home because if we search for a “turkey sandwich near me” we won’t get a thing! There’s no Arby’s, Panera, or Subway within 60 miles of me and that just doesn’t qualify as “near me”!
We’re on our own and that’s okay because they’re easy to make!
Regardless of which kind of turkey sandwich option you choose, you’re going to love it!
Grilled Turkey and Cheese Sandwich
Ingredients for the turkey sandwich
- 4 slices white bread
- 2 Tablespoons butter room temperature
- 2 ounces cheese
- 6 slices deli turkey
Optional ideas of what to put on a turkey sandwich
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- cranberry sauce
- 1/2 sliced apple
- Heat a skillet over low-medium heat. It’s really important to use a lower heat so the cheese will melt inside, and the outsides will be golden brown.
- Generously butter the outsides of the bread and place butter side down in the skillet.
- Place a slice of cheese on top of each piece of bread.
- Add sliced turkey to one side. Add bacon to the other side.
- Let cook until the bottom is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Add any extra sandwich ideas on (tomatoes, pickles, avocado, lettuce, etc).
- Put slices of bread together, buttered side out, to make the sandwich.
- Remove from the skillet and cool for about 1 minute. Cut. Serve