Cake Mix Banana Bread is such an easy banana bread recipe, like the easiest of all time! It’s a one-bowl banana bread recipe!
You’ll need four simple ingredients (a box of your favorite cake mix, vegetable oil, eggs, and overripe bananas) and about 5 minutes to make the batter and 45 minutes to bake the bread!
This post and recipe were originally written making banana bread with a strawberry cake mix. It was updated in 2022 to share options for using a variety of cake mixes. The update includes new text and images.
I have to admit that bananas aren’t my favorite food in the world and that’s probably why we always end up with extra over-ripe bananas. It’s also why I’m always looking for another way to use them.
My family loves Sheetpan Banana Bars with Cream Cheese Icing, Hawaiian Banana Bread (if you have time for homemade this is the perfect banana bread), Peanut Butter Banana Muffins, Chocolate Banana Muffins, Banana Oat Cookies, and Banana Brownies.
This cake mix banana bread recipe literally takes the cake when it comes to making quick bread! It couldn’t be easier! And let’s face it, we all need easy sometimes! Like mostly all the time!
This recipe makes two loaves. I love eating one right away and freezing one for later! It freezes really well and is handy to be able to use it on the craziest of days.
Or, when Justin tells me that he’s invited someone that stopped by the farm in for a snack! It’s easy to thaw a loaf and serve with a little fresh fruit!
Why This Recipe is the Best:
Let’s talk about what makes this a great recipe and why this is the best banana bread recipe!
This banana bread recipe with cake mix is so darn tasty that nobody will ever know you didn’t make homemade banana bread from scratch!
It’s fun to bake different variations of this recipe using different cake mix flavors! You can also include other add-ins, too!
- It’s foolproof! Follow these simple instructions and it will be perfect every single time!
- It’s a four-ingredient banana bread recipe! I love that I can always have the ingredients on hand!
- This is a one-bowl banana bread recipe! No need to do dishes all day with this recipe!
- Make it in loaf pans, muffin tin, or bundt pan.
Cake Mix: Use your favorite variety! Banana bread with yellow cake mix is the classic! I like Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, and Duncan Hine’s cake mixes.
Eggs: Whole eggs
Oil: I use canola oil, you can also use vegetable oil, or use melted butter (using room temperature butter will make the banana bread batter too thick.)
Bananas: Use overripe bananas. It’s okay if they are spotted and pretty black. The older they get the sweeter they are.
I’m giving you the basic cake mix banana bread recipe, but you don’t have to stop with basic! Think of it as the basic recipe that can be customized.
One of my favorite things about this banana bread is that you can make so many variations! Choose your cake mix, then choose add-ins to go along with it!
Here are a few ideas to get you started! If you have other fun ideas drop them in the comments below!
- Butter pecan cake mix + chopped pecans + vanilla extract
- Chocolate cake mix + mini chocolate chips (you can use regular chocolate chips too, but I like the mini ones because they don’t sink to the bottom)
- White cake mix + walnuts
- White cake mix + butterscotch chips
- White cake mix + dried cranberries and white chocolate chips
- Spice cake mix + walnuts
- Strawberry cake mix + white chocolate chips
Step 1: Set the oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 5 inch x 9 inch bread pans by spraying them with nonstick cooking spray, or line with parchment paper.
Step 2: Add bananas to the large mixing bowl. Using the electric mixer, mix until the bananas are smashed. It’s okay if has a few lumps.
Step 3: Add cake mix, oil, and eggs to the large bowl. Give it a quick mix until the ingredients are combined. Stir in any additional add-ins.
Step 4: Evenly divide the banana bread batter between the prepared loaf pans.
Step 5: Bake for 40-45 minutes. Cover the bread with aluminum foil if it’s getting too brown on the top and not baked through. This is a moist banana bread recipe. If you’re using the toothpick test method it will still have a few crumbs.
Step 6: Cool bread in the pans for about 10 minutes. Then remove to a wire rack to completely cool. For best results and easier slicing give it time to completely cool before slicing.
You can make this easy banana bread recipe in two 9 inch x 5 inch loaf pan, in a bundt cake pan, muffin tin, or mini loaf pans. You’ll need to adjust baking times.
- 5″x9″ loaf pans, makes two loaves, 40-45 minutes baking time
- Muffin tins, 24 muffins, 20-25 minutes
- Mini Loaf Pans – quantity and time will vary because sizing varies so much
- Bundt Pan, 1 cake, 40-50 minutes
Store banana bread in an airtight container, at room temperature, for up to four days.
Yes! You can freeze banana bread for up to 4 months. Wrap it in plastic wrap. Then store in an airtight container (ziploc bags work great)
The best way to keep banana bread moist is to be careful to not overbake it. After it’s baked be sure to keep it in an airtight container.
Other Easy Cake Mix Recipes:
A box of cake mix is an excellent start to so many easy recipes! Here are some of my favorite recipes that take a box cake mix and a few other simple ingredients.
Printable Recipe Card:
Banana Bread Recipe with Cake Mix
- 15.25 ounces yellow cake mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 bananas overripe
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 5″ x 10″ pans.
- Beat bananas until smooth.
- Add cake mix, oil, and eggs. Beat until combined.
- Add any optional ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Divide evenly into prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Let loaves sit for 10 minutes then remove from pans to wire rack to completely cool. Store cooled loaves in an airtight container.
- Use different kinds of cake mix: chocolate, strawberry, butter pecan, etc.
- Add-ins: mini chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, pecans, raisins, etc.
- Room temperature: Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Freezer: Wrap banana bread loaves in plastic wrap. Place wrapped loaves in an airtight container. Freeze for up to 4 months.
Recipe adapted from my friend Angie!