These Banana Brownies are loaded with all the good stuff; peanut butter and chocolate chips! If you have extra ripe bananas skip making banana bread this time and go for something chocolate instead! Trust me, you won’t regret it!
These are the BEST chocolate banana brownies!
One problem we have is that Justin ALWAYS buys too many bananas and then he doesn’t eat them before they get ripe.
You guys…I don’t like BANANAS! Every once in a while I’ll eat a bite of one if it’s perfectly ripe, and that doesn’t happen very often. And my boys like banana bread sometimes, but not every day!
Thank goodness for peanut butter banana brownies because I can totally get behind that! There really isn’t a better combination than chocolate and peanut butter! Plus because they have fruit in them I’m going to consider them to be healthy!
Can’t decide if you like fudgy or cakey brownies better? These brownies are a perfect mix of both.
These brownies make the BEST banana split sundaes! Top with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce!
All About Banana Chocolate Brownies
Table of contents
Ingredients in Banana Brownies
This recipe uses really simple ingredients you probably already have in your pantry! There are options for substituting so I’m going to walk you through them!
You could always make banana brownies from a box only will only need about 3 ingredients, but I think homemade is really worth the little bit of extra effort.
- Chocolate Chips – Semi-sweet, milk chocolate, whatever!
- Bananas – Ripe bananas are sweeter so they are best. They’re perfect when they have dark brown spots.
- Butter – I’m a dairy farmer so I’m always going to use real butter! Salted or unsalted either one will work great.
- Brown Sugar – Light or dark
- Eggs – Whole
- Vanilla – It adds flavor, but you can skip it if you don’t have it.
- Flour – All-purpose is what I use. If you want healthy banana brownies use whole wheat flour. I’ve never used gluten-free flour so I can’t say how it would turn out.
- Baking Powder – Make sure it’s not expired
- Salt – Regular iodized table salt
- Cocoa – Dutch-processed is what I use.
- Peanut Butter Chips – This is where the peanut butter comes from!
How to Make Banana Brownies
Making brownies with banana is about the same as making regular brownies.
STEP 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×9 inch baking pan, or line it with aluminum foil.
STEP 2: Melt chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl by microwaving for 1 minute. Stir until smooth. If needed microwave for 15 more seconds and stir. Repeat until smooth. Set aside to cool a little bit.
STEP 3: Cream butter and sugar for 2 minutes.
STEP 4: Add eggs, vanilla, baking powder, and salt. Beat for 1 minute.
STEP 5: Add and mashed bananas. Beat until combined. I forgot to mash the bananas before adding them. Don’t be like me! These bananas were really brown and soft so they were pretty easy to beat into the butter.
STEP 6: Add cooled chocolate. Beat until combined. It’s okay if it’s not completely incorporated.
STEP 7: Add flour and beat only until combined. Don’t over-beat.
STEP 8: Add walnuts, and half of the peanut butter chips. Stir.
STEP 9: Pour into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle the top with remaining peanut butter chips and chocolate chips.
STEP 10: Bake for 40-45 minutes. Cool completely. Cut into squares. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Other Peanut Butter and Banana Recipes
We love chocolate and peanut butter desserts, banana, and peanut butter desserts, and pretty much any combination of the three! Here are a few of our faves!
Easy Ripe Banana Recipes
- Banana Coconut Bread– the best banana bread ever!
- Banana Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cake Mix Banana Bread – couldn’t be easier!
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies – healthy breakfast cookies
- Chocolate Banana Muffins – with chocolate chips
- Banana Pancakes – add chocolate chips if you want
- Cinnamon Banana Snack Bars – sheet cake size with cream cheese icing
Peanut Butter Dessert Recipes
- Peanut Butter Pretzel Cookies – no bake
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies – chewy and loaded with chocolate
- Peanut Butter Fudge Cookie Bars – viewed over 250,000 times on Pinterest in one week!
- Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies – The BEST classic recipe
- Hot Fudge Sauce with Peanut Butter – a 5-minute recipe
Grab my Banana Brownie Recipe
Brownies with banana knock the socks off of making another loaf of boring old banana bread! Make these chocolate brownies with bananas instead, and if you want to turn them into a banana split sundae add vanilla ice cream and my homemade hot fudge recipe! It’s life-changing!
Peanut Butter Banana Brownies
- 1 cup chocolate chips semi-sweet
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 2 bananas ripe
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup peanut butter chips divided
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×9 inch baking pan, or line it with aluminum foil.
- Melt chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl by microwaving for 1 minute. Stir.
- Cream butter and sugar for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Beat for 1 minute.
- Add cooled chocolate. Beat until combined.
- Add baking powder, salt, and mashed bananas. Beat until combined.
- Add flour and beat only until combined. Don’t over-beat.
- Add walnuts, and half of the peanut butter chips. Stir.
- Pour into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle the top with remaining peanut butter chips and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Cool completely. Cut into squares. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.