Chili Cheese Dip is the ultimate game day or party appetizer recipe! It’s incredibly quick and easy to make, about 20 minutes, with 3 simple ingredients (chili, cream cheese, and grated cheese! This hot cream cheese chili dip will be the first thing to disappear!
Every party or game day needs appetizers! Spinach and Artichoke Dip, Dill Pickle Cheeseball, Jalapeno Popper Rollups, etc! I also LOVE adding at least one hearty and meaty dip to the line up! Chili Cheese Dip is the best ever! It’s also tasty served over hotdogs to make chili dogs!
Table of contents
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
I have a feeling this chili dip is going to make it’s way into your regular rotation! I mean, it has double cheese, what’s not to love!
- Quick and Easy! This is one of those recipe where all you have to do is open a can, open a package, mix it together and warm it up.
- Simple Ingredients! You don’t need anything fancy to make this recipe. And that’s important when you live in the middle of nowhere and only go to the grocery store a couple of times a month.
- Cooking Options! You can warm this dip in minutes in the microwave. Cook it in a skillet on the stove. Bake in the oven. Or add everything to the slow cooker and let it go. You decide what works best for you.
As usual, I’m going to give you a few options so you can customize this recipe to your tastes, and so you can make it with what you have on hand.
- Chili: Canned chili is great in this recipe. You can use no bean chili for a keto friendly dip, chili con carne (with ground beef), or chili with beans and no meat for a vegetarian option. This is also a fantastic way to use leftover homemade chili if you already it from scratch.
- Cheese: I like pepperjack because it melts well and it adds a little extra kick. Cheddar, mozzarella, monterey, and colby jack are all great choices. You can also use Kraft Velveeta cheese if you’d like. I actually love this dip with Velveeta because it’s almost more like queso dip with chili. Use your favorite or whatever you have. Pretty much anything goes here!
- Spices: I like adding a little bit of chili powder or taco seasoning to the dip just to give it a little bit of extra flavor. This is totally optional. You can also add a few dashes, or a lot of dashes, of hot sauce to make it spicy.
How to Make Chili Cheese Dip:
I’m going to walk you through the steps for making cheese dip with chili that’s baked in the oven. But, I’ll also give you instructions for making it in the microwave, CrockPot, and on the stovetop.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut cream cheese into cubes. Add canned chili, cream cheese, and grated cheese (reserve about 1/2 a cup of cheese) to a skillet or baking dish. You can also add taco seasoning if you’d like, it’s not necessary though.
Step 2: Set skillet in the oven for 13 minutes. The cheese will be melted and the cream cheese will be softened.
Step 3: Stir the cream cheese, chili, and grated cheese together until it’s combined.
Step 4: Sprinkle the rest of the grated cheese over the chili with cream cheese. You can use more cheese if you like! I won’t hold it against you!
Step 5: Bake for 2 more minutes, or until melted and bubbly. Serve hot.
- Microwave: Cut the cream cheese into cubes, set aside. Add the chili to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, or until heated through. Add cream cheese and shredded cheese to the chili. Microwave for 1-2 more minutes, or until the cream cheese is soft and the shredded cheese is melted. Spread mixture in a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with additional shredded cheese. Microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until the cheese is melted.
- Stove-top: Add all ingredients to a skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until heated through. Sprinkle with additional cheese. Continue cooking, without stirring, for a couple of minutes until the cheese is melted. (Be sure the stove is on medium or the dip will burn)
- Crock-pot: Cut cream cheese into cubes. Add chili, cheese, and cream cheese to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 1-2 hours. Stir to combine. Sprinkle extra cheese on the top if desired. Serve.
- Smoked: I actually haven’t ever tried this method, but I’m sure adding a smoked flavor would be so good. Follow the skillet instructions, baking on the smoker instead of the oven.
It can be kept in the fridge for up to three days. It will start to separate a little bit. Stir it together and reheat.
Yes! Microwave until heated through. How long it takes will depend on the wattage of your microwave, how much dip you’re heating, and how thick the dip is. It needs to be heated through. Start with a minute and add more time as needed.
Yes. I don’t recommend it though because freezing alters the texture of cream cheese. It’s so easy to make that I don’t really need to freeze it ahead of time anyway. And there is never leftovers at my house!
The best way to make this dip ahead of time is to add all the ingredients to a slow cooker or skillet. Refrigerate until you’re ready to cook it. Continue with the instructions.
What to Eat with Chili Cheese Dip:
Here are some fun ideas for serving this warm dip!
- With tortilla chips or corn chips.
- Use sweet peppers or celery for dipping to keep it lower carb
- Spoon it over hot dogs to make chili dogs
- Serve it over chips to make nachos
- Top it with salsa, sour cream, green onions, tomatoes, diced avocadoes, sliced black olives, etc.
- Add cooked and crumbled bacon.
- Top with jarred jalapenos, or fresh jalapeno if you can handle the heat!
Other Easy Mexican Dips:
The BEST Cheesy Chili Dip with Cream Cheese
- 2 14 ounce cans chili
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups grated pepper jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning optional
- Preaheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add cans of chili, cubed cream cheese, and half of the grated cheese, and taco seasoning to a skillet or baking dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn oven to broil. Carefully stir the chili and cheeses together. Top with the remaining cheese. Broil for about 3 minutes until the cheese is bubbly.