Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwich, sometimes called hot ham and cheese sliders, are a whole new level of gooey, cheesy goodness in a super easy to make oven baked sandwich recipe! And they have the BEST poppyseed butter brushed all over the toasty tops!
Update: This post was updated in October 2019 with new images, and the recipe was written to include nutritional information. The sandwiches are as delicious as they’ve always been!
My boys pack lunches every day for school an even end up eating sack lunches during the summer when they are stuck in the fields. They get so sick of boring ol’ cold ham and cheese sandwiches and I can’t say I blame them!
You guys, these sandwiches with hot ham and cheese are a game changer! It’s such a delicious change of pace and my boys go crazy for them! Besides that, they are so easy to make!
What I love about Ham and Cheese Sliders
One of my very favorite things about this recipe is they are just as good made ahead of time. Assemble them as you normally would, then stick them in the refrigerator until you’re ready for dinner. All you need to do is pop the sliders in the oven and bake them. Seriously, this makes dinner time doable even on days when I’m stuck in a tractor.
I usually make enough to feed a crowd, which makes them the perfect party sandwich. I like to make a bunch and freeze leftover sandwiches for later. It’s so handy to pull them out of the freezer and throw them in the boy’s lunches. Goodbye PB&J!
The other super cool thing about these hot sandwiches is that you can switch the flavors up by using different types of cheeses and meats. It’s also fun to add other things like pickles too. The sky is the limit! Let your creative juices flow and see what you come up with! Leave me a comment at the bottom of the post and let me know what combo you try!
My readers LOVE these sandwiches as much as I do!
“Hey Amy! I’m in a Culinary class and I was required to make a slider. Found this recipe and OMG! Everyone LOVED it!!”Kristine
These are seriously delish!! What I love is that you can mix and match meat and cheese to suit your taste. I once requested these as my birthday dinner:)Pyper
FAQ’s about my hot ham and cheese sandwiches recipe.
What kind of bread should I use for ham and cheese sliders?
Any roll will work for this recipe! Hawaiian rolls are a favorite and work really well.
What kind of cheese is best with ham?
Swiss, cheddar, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, and pepper jack are all great options. Shredded or sliced cheese works well.
Can I freeze ham and cheese sliders?
Yes! Bake sliders then freeze leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
How do I reheat frozen sliders?
Microwave frozen sliders for about 1 minute, turn around and heat 1 more minute or until warmed through. You can also thaw sliders in the fridge then heat in the microwave for 1 minute.
Can I bake hot ham and cheese sandwiches in foil?
Yes. Individual sandwiches can be wrapped in aluminum foil and baked until warmed through.
How to make Ham and Cheese Sliders?
In just a few minutes you can throw together a whole bunch of these cheese and ham sandwiches. It’s also a really good recipe for the kids to help make because it’s so easy.
- Cut rolls in half. If the rolls are attached that’s even better. Just cut the whole thing at once and make one big sandwich then cut it into pieces after it cooks.
- Set the bottoms of the rolls in a greased pan.
- Layer deli ham on the roll bottoms.
- Add a layer of sliced cheese.
- Replace the top halves of rolls.
- Melt butter and mix poppy seeds, Worcestershire, onion powder, and mustard.
- Brush butter mixture over rolls.
Tips for baking hot ham and cheese sandwiches in the oven.
- Bake meat and cheese sliders uncovered at 350 degrees. This gives all that cheese a chance to melt and get gooey before the tops of the rolls get too brown.
- Cover rolls with aluminum foil if roll tops get overly crispy and brown before the rest of the sandwiches are warmed through.
- Let sliders rest for about 5 minutes before cutting them. This helps keep all that hot ham and cheese stay tucked inside the slider.
- If sliders have been in the refrigerator add about 5 minutes to the baking time.
What goes with ham and cheese sandwiches?
First of all…Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches make great make ahead appetizers, party sandwiches, or weeknight dinner!
Here are some suggestions for easy side dish recipes to serve with them.
- Baked Potato Chips
- Easy Fruit Salad Recipe
- Three Bean Salad Recipe
- Cauliflower Salad
- Check out these side dish recipes and other salad ideas for dinner. Plus, here’s a bunch of easy bar cookies recipes and easy dessert recipes with few ingredients!
Other Slider Recipes you will love!
Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
Ingredients for making ham and cheese sandwiches
- 12 dinner rolls
- 1/2 lb Swiss cheese
- 1 lb deli ham
Ingredients for making poppy seed butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp spicy mustard
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
How to make ham and cheese sliders
- Cut rolls in half. If the rolls are stuck together it's okay to leave them stuck together. Just cut the whole thing in half to make tops and bottoms for the sandwich.
- Set the bottom halves of the rolls in a baking dish. 12 rolls usually fit perfectly in a 9"x 13" pan.
- Add a layer of deli ham on the bottom halves of the rolls.
- Add a layer of cheese over the ham.
- Set the tops of the rolls on the sandwiches. Set aside.
How to make poppy seed butter for sandwiches
- Melt butter in a microwave-safe dish.
- Add Worcestershire, poppy seeds, onion powder, and mustard. Mix until combined.
How to bake ham and cheese sliders
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake sliders uncovered for 15 minutes. Check to make sure cheese is completely melted and sliders are golden brown on the top. Bake for an additional five minutes if needed.