Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies are everything you love about an old-fashioned carrot cake in a super easy cake mix cookie recipe! Plus, they have the best cream cheese filling inside! It’s such an easy recipe!
It’s like homemade Oreo’s…carrot cake style! They’re perfect for Easter!
My kids told me they saw carrot cookies at Walmart, but they didn’t say anything about it until we got home. I’m for sure not going to make the long trek back to town to buy them!
I went back to my homemade Oreo recipe and swapped the chocolate cake mix for a carrot cake mix. I’m a serious chocoholic and I loved these simple cookies, sot that’s really saying something!
My mom used to make carrot cookies that had orange icing and we loved how soft, and moist they were! There’s just something magical about what happens to desserts when you add carrots or pumpkin. Those cookies my mom made were citrusy.
These cookies have that classic warm cinnamon spice taste! Plus these carrot cake cookies from cake mix are way easier to make than hers were! No peeling and grating carrots with this recipe!
Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies Ingredients:
As I said, carrot cake sandwich cookies are made with simple ingredients that can be easily stored, which means I can make them pretty much anytime I want!
You’ll need a few refrigerator items too; cream cheese, butter, and cream. So if you’re carrot cake mix recipes this is exactly what you’re looking for!
Little Dairy on the Prairie Pro Tip: To save time make carrot cake cookies with cream cheese frosting by using store-bought cream cheese frosting instead of making it from scratch!
Carrot Cake Cake Mix – use any brand you want, I usually use Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, or Pillsbury
- Oil – vegetable or canola oil are best
- Cream Cheese – use full fat. Neufchâtel (lower fat cream cheese) has a higher water content so it will make your frosting runny.
- Butter – Use real butter, salted or unsalted will work
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy Cream – you can use whole milk, 2% milk, or evaporated milk if you need to. Heavy cream will make the icing a little fluffier.
- Salt – optional. It offsets the sweetness of the sugar.
How to make carrot cake cookies with cream cheese:
I LOVE making cookies with a cake mix! Cookies come together in a flash when all you have to do is open a box and adding a few other pantry type ingredients! Besides that, they are always really moist and chewy and we all like that! Besides that, I always have cake mixes in my storage room.
To make cookies
STEP 1: Mix cake mix, oil, and eggs together. Dough will be stiff.
STEP 2: Roll dough into Tablespoon size cookies. You want the cookies to be as close to the same size as possible.
STEP 3: Bake. Let cool for a minute on cookie sheets. Remove to a cooling rack to completely cool.
How to make cream cheese filling
STEP 1: Beat cream cheese until smooth. (Must be room temperature or it will be lumpy)
STEP 2: Add powdered sugar, butter, cream, vanilla, and a dash of salt. Beat until smooth and fluffy.
How to assemble cookies
Spread icing on the bottoms of half of the cookies. Place another cookie on top to make a sandwich.
Cake Mix Cookies Recipes
Here are a few other cake mix cookie recipes you’ll love!
- Chocolate Mint Sandwich Cookies – Obviously, they are perfect for Christmas but they’re a hit all year long
- Butterscotch Cake Mix Cookies – the BEST bar cookies recipe
- Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies – with cream cheese
- Carrot Cake Cookies – rolled in powdered sugar
Cake mixes are a great shortcut for lots of desserts, including cake! Here are a few of that kind of cake mix recipe ideas!
- Pistachio Cake – marbled with chocolate
- Triple Chocolate Cake using Cake Mix – chocolate lovers dream come true
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Raspberry Filling – plus cream cheese frosting
- Strawberry Banana Bread – YES! It’s made with cake mix
- Strawberry Poke Cake – made with sweetened condensed milk
Grab my Carrot Cake Cookies Recipe:
Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies
For the Cookies
- 15.25 ounce carrot cake mix dry cake mix only
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 whole eggs
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons butter room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- dash salt
To Make the Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix cake mix, oil, and eggs together. The dough will be thick.
- Roll cookies into tablespoon-sized balls. Place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes. Take them out as soon as they start to crack. You don't want to overbake them. Remove to a wire rack to completely cool.
- Match equal size cookies in pairs.
- Ice the bottom of one cookie with cream cheese frosting. Top with a second cookie to make a sandwich.
To make the Cream Cheese Filling:
- Beat cream cheese until it's smooth.
- Add powdered sugar, butter, and salt. Beat again until smooth.
- Add half of the heavy cream and vanilla. Beat. Add additional heavy cream to make frosting the right constency.