This American Flag Pizza is exactly what the kids want to eat on the 4th of July! Heck, they probably want it for Memorial Day and Labor Day too! This pizza takes less than 30 minutes hands on time! It’s the perfect party food!
This post was originally published in 2017 and updated in 2020 to include a few extra tips. The recipe stayed the same.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe:
I’m all about cute and festive food on holidays. But, I’ve also learned that I want to be able to enjoy the party instead of stressing about the food. So my rule of thumb is that whatever we eat has to be EASY!
- Let’s face it! Kids love pizza more than they love smoked pulled pork and baked beans! It’s a holiday so give in and let them have pizza, this festive pizza!
- It’s really quick and easy to make with store-bought crust.
- You can make this pizza in a sheet pan. Or you could also make individual pizzas and let the kids make their own “flag pizza”. To make individual pizzas roll the dough out into a large rectangle, then cut into single serving rectangles to make the flags.
- Who wouldn’t want a United States flag pizza just to be patriotic!
This recipe uses simple ingredients. Let me give you a few suggestions for substitutions. I love options because running to the grocery store for a specific ingredient isn’t happening out here on the farm!
- Pizza Crust – You’re welcome to make your own homemade pizza crust if you’d like. Store-bought frozen bread dough works perfectly and is what I usually use. Or you can use premade pizza crust from a can or from the store.
- Pepperoni – If you don’t like pepperoni use Canadian bacon, regular bacon, or even red pepper strips if you want to keep it vegetarian.
- Olives – Black olives really do make the best stars for the flag. If you’re not a fan you can use blue or purple potatoes.
How to Make Flag Pizza
It’s really easy! Let me run you through the step by step process just to make sure it turns out perfect the first time!
STEP 1: Spread pizza dough in a rectangle pan. I use a half sheet cookie sheet (15 1/2″ x 10 1/2″). Be sure to grease the pan with nonstick baking spray first.
STEP 2: Spread pizza sauce, or marinara sauce, over the dough.
STEP 3: Sprinkle grated mozzarella cheese over the marinara sauce. BTW, I always keep shredded mozzarella cheese in my freezer just for making pizza! Check out all my tips on how to store cheese.
STEP 4: Arrange sliced olives in the top right corner to create the “stars” on the pizza. This is where you could use blue potatoes instead. Be sure to cut them really thin so they’ll cook through.
STEP 5: Arrange pepperoni on pizza in the stripes lengthwise on the pizza.
STEP 6: Bake pizza. Let rest for a minute or two. Slice. Serve.
Little Dairy on the Prairie Pro Tip: We love adding all different kinds of fresh vegetables. Tomatoes are a fantastic choice. We also really like sweet bell peppers. You can add pretty much any sturdy vegetable like cauliflower, carrots, jalapenos, etc.
FAQs About Making Homemade Pizza
Yes! This is my favorite way to make pizza, especially on busy days! How? Assemble the pizza. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until you’re ready to bake. Let rest at room temperature for about 10 minutes. Then bake as instructed.
Of course! It’s a lifesaver! Assemble the pizza. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator. And bake as directed.
More Easy Pizza Recipes
If you love making pizza at home as much as we do you need these recipes! They’re all really easy to make and might even be faster than waiting for pizza delivery!
- Pizza Quesadillas – A ten-minute recipe
- Cast Iron Skillet Pizza – Amazing crispy or deep dish crust
- Pulled Pork Pizza – The best way to use leftover pulled pork
- Chicken Taco Pizza – Make extra grilled chicken to use on this pizza
- Hawaiian Pizza – Sweet and savory all at the same time
- Dessert Pizza – OMG! This is insanely delicious! You MUST try it!
American Flag Pepperoni Pizza
- 1 loaf frozen bread dough See notes for other options
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup pepperoni slices
- 10 black olives
- Thaw frozen dough according to package instructions.
- Move the oven rack to the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease a 10 1/2 x 15 1/2 cookie sheet (half sheet baking sheet).
- Spread dough out to make pizza crust.
- Spread pizza sauce over the crust.
- Sprinkle cheese over pizza sauce. Be generous!
- Arrange sliced olives in the top left corner to create the "stars" section of the pizza.
- Arrange pepperoni to make "stripes" on the flag. See note about options for making the stripes.
- Bake the pizza for 15-20 minutes. Watch for the crust to be golden brown, and the cheese to be completely melted.
- Instead of pepperoni, you can use Canadian bacon or regular bacon. You can also use sliced red peppers for vegetarian pizza.
- Sliced mushrooms can be added to the “white stripes” if you’d like.
- Instead of using olives sliced blue potatoes can be used.
- Using frozen bread dough is my favorite because it’s really easy. I like the Rhodes brand.
- Pizza dough in a can, such as Pillsbury, works great.
- Making homemade pizza crust is a great option too.
- Sometimes pizzerias sell pizza dough, or you can find it in some grocery stores in the refrigerator section.
- Let the dough rest for a few minutes before trying to shape it into crust.