This recipe is everything you love about any Grape Salad Recipe, except it’s a bit lighter and healthier – thanks to Greek yogurt! It only takes about 5 minutes to make and has a handful of simple ingredients; cream cheese, Greek yogurt, sugar, vanilla, grapes, and walnuts! It’s creamy and has a brown sugar/walnut topping to give it the perfect amount of crunch and sweetness! Plus, it can be made ahead of time which makes it the perfect barbecue side dish!
Note: This post was originally published several years ago. I’m updating it with new photos and a video to show you exactly how to make a grape salad.
You guys this salad is one of my absolute favorite go-to salads! It’s the one I make when I’m in a huge hurry and need to bring an impressive salad to share at an event! There’s something magical about the combination of juicy grapes tossed in a creamy dressing, topped off with crunchy nuts.
Maybe it tastes a little bit like dessert, but I’m never going to complain about getting credit for eating salad and having it taste like no bake dessert or cheesecake dessert! Plus, I’m getting my servings of fruit for the day!
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST GRAPE SALAD
- Serve it in a shallow bowl to ensure that each serving gets a good amount of that divine streusel topping!
- This salad is best made ahead and actually needs to chill for at least an hour before serving. Longer is even better!
- Don’t add the streusel topping until you are ready to serve it or else the brown sugar will dissolve into the salad.
GRAPE SALAD INGREDIENTS
- Grapes – Red, Green, or a combination (my favorite)
- Cream Cheese – Make sure it’s room temperature
- Greek Yogurt- You can use sour cream if you’d rather
- Vanilla – Optional
- Sugar – Can be reduced, especially if you’re using Vanilla Greek yogurt
- Brown Sugar – For the topping
- Walnuts – For the topping (may substitute pecans, almonds, chopped Butterfingers or snickers, toffee bits
HEALTHY/LIGHTER GRAPE SALAD
It’s easy to make a healthier and lighter version of the grape salad. Of course, adding brown sugar to the top makes it really delicious and more like a dessert salad than a healthy salad. But, with a few ingredient substitutes, this recipe will still taste amazing in a lightened up version.
- Use Neuchâtel – it does have higher water content and results in a bit runnier and less creamy dressing. Reduce Greek yogurt by 1/4 of a cup to compensate.
- Reduce sugar – I promise it will still be delicious!
- Use Vanilla Greek Yogurt – it’s sweet enough you can omit the sugar in the salad
- Skip the brown sugar topping – and use extra nuts
WATCH THE VIDEO TO SEE HOW TO MAKE GRAPE SALAD…SO EASY!
OTHER PICNIC SIDE DISHES
- Crockpot Baked Beans – throw everything in the slow cooker and let it go
- Marinated Cucumbers – everyone asks for the recipe
- Skinny Broccoli Salad – with Greek Yogurt and pasta
- Grilled Zucchini Recipe – in a foil packet for the easiest cleanup
- KFC Copycat Coleslaw Recipe – just like the original
- Three Bean Salad Recipe – toss the ingredients together and refrigerate
- Cauliflower Salad Recipe – with green peas and ranch
Grape Salad Recipe:
Grape Salad Recipe (healthy/lightened up with Greek yogurt)
FOR THE GRAPE SALAD
- 8 ounce pkg cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups red grapes washed and dried
- 3 cups green grapes washed and dried
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup walnuts roughly chopped
- Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add Greek yogurt and mix together until smooth. Add 1/4 cup sugar and vanilla. Mix. (See notes about omitting sugar)
- Fold grapes into the creamy mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, or overnight.
- Just before serving sprinkle top of the salad with brown sugar and walnuts. (See notes about omitting sugar.
- If using Greek yogurt you make omit the sugar
- Skip sprinkling brown sugar to the top of salad and use extra nuts instead.
- Use reduced-fat cream cheese- this will make the salad thinner so I’d reduce Greek yogurt by 1/4 a cup.