This French Dressing recipe is a little tangy, a little sweet, and a fun way to make salads exciting! Homemade salad dressing way better than store-bought. Throw all the ingredients in the blender and that’s all there is to it!
I grew up in the middle of nowhere and my mom only went to the grocery store about once a month. She stocked up on fresh fruits and vegetables and we DEVOURED them! We knew they wouldn’t last forever and pretty soon we’d be back to eating canned green beans and frozen peas again!
My mom’s friend shared this homemade French dressing recipe with her all those years ago and I fell in love with it and it’s still my favorite today!
This recipe was originally published in 2013. The text and images were updated in 2021. The recipe stayed the same.
What I Love About This French Salad Dressing:
- Simple Ingredients: it’s easy to keep all of the ingredients you need in the pantry.
- Easy Instructions: If you know how to measure and use a blender you’ve already got this recipe mastered!
- Better than Store-bought: I love knowing what’s in my salad dressing (I’m not saying it’s healthy, but I can pronounce all the ingredients). And it’s less expensive than buying it in a bottle!
- YUMMY: The flavors are spot on!
French Dressing vs. Catalina Dressing?
To be honest I’m not sure there’s a real answer here! Heck, I’m not even sure if you’d classify this dressing as French or Catalina? I think it’s a pretty good mix between the two! Call it what you want…just make it!
Here’s what I learned about what’s different between the two after studying it on the good ol’ internet! Take it all with a grain of salt!
- Sweeter in taste
- Typically a vinegar/oil base
- Light pink
- Named after the Catalina Islands off the coast of California (who knows if this is true)
- Typically has a tomato/vinegar/oil base
- Bright red
- Thinner than French dressing
French Dressing Ingredients:
I’m going to give you a few suggestions for substituting to make this dressing with what you already have in your food storage.
- Ketchup: Use your favorite brand
- White vinegar: You could also use half apple cider vinegar and half white vinegar
- Vegetable oil: Canola oil or light olive oil will also work. Olive oil will give it a little bit of a different flavor.
- Seasonings: salt, pepper, dry mustard, garlic salt
- Granulated Sugar: You can use 1/2 a cup of honey instead of sugar.
Little Dairy on the Prairie Pro Tip: To make a healthy French dressing, or salad dressing with no sugar use 1/4 cup Splenda or another artificial sweetener instead of adding sugar. Diabetic and Keto diet readers have tried this and loved it!
How to make French Dressing:
STEP 1: Add all ingredients EXCEPT sugar to the blender. Blend until smooth.
STEP 2: Gradually add sugar until smooth and creamy.
FAQs about Homemade Salad Dressing:
Store it in an airtight container in the fridge. A mason jar is my favorite way of storing it.
This dressing will last up to two weeks. It’s easy to cut the recipe in half if you need to make a smaller batch.
What is French Dressing Good With:
French Dressing is almost like a condiment at our house! You can use it in so many ways! Here are a few ideas to get you started and pretty soon you’ll be using it on everything!
- Green salad: This is the obvious one! Try it on my Steak House Salad!
- Mexican taco salad: I love ranch with taco salad and I love French dressing too! Be sure to add plenty of Doritos!
- As a veggie dipper: This dressing is pretty thick so it works and is a fun change of pace!
- Over nachos: try using it instead of BBQ sauce on my Pulled Pork Nachos
- On a sandwich: Yep! Use it as a condiment! It’s excellent on my Hawaiian Burgers too! It’s fantastic with hot dogs too!
Other Salad Recipes:
Here are a few other recipes for salads that you’re going to love! They’re perfect side dishes for about any meal, especially BBQs!
- Three Bean Salad – the best make-ahead salad with a vinaigrette
- Healthy Potato Salad – a classic salad made with Greek yogurt
- Chinese Cabbage Salad – my favorite main dish salad
- Pizza Salad – This recipe for French dressing would be yummy on this salad too!
- Lemon Pesto Pasta Salad – yummy summer salad
Other Homemade Salad Dressing Recipes:
- Dill Dressing – healthy herby dressing
- Strawberry Dressing – the best spinach salad dressing
- Honey Mustard Vinaigrette – tangy and sweet
Homemade French Dressing Recipe:
Simple French Dressing
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Add all ingredients except sugar to a blender and blend until combined.
- Gradually add sugar while blending. Blend until creamy and smooth.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- This recipe can be made with 1/2 a cup of honey instead of sugar.
- Replace sugar with an artificial sweetener such as Splenda for low carb, or keto dressing.
- Reduce the amount of sugar used if you’d like. I’ve made it with half a cup of sugar and it was still delicious!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- The dressing will keep up to three weeks.