Sweet and Spicy Beef is perfect for making in the morning and letting it cook until it’s time for dinner. It is yummy served over rice, baked potatoes (add a dollop of sour cream and cheddar cheese), and pasta.
I need to make a quick note about round steak before I go on with the instructions. My brother was asking me about a what kind of steak to use in a particular recipe. I suggested using round steak since it is a less expensive cut of meat and would have worked perfectly. I could tell he was confused and so I asked him what kind of steak he was using. He told me that he couldn’t remember what cut of steak it was. But he was sure it wasn’t round steak because his was more of a square, rectangle shaped steak. Ha Ha!! For those of you who don’t know round steak is a steak cut from the round primal cut of beef. It is the eye of round, bottom round and top round still connected and usually is without a bone. It is perfect for slow cooking and braising. There. Now you are all educated for the day, on to the recipe.
Slice the steak as thin as possible. It is easier to slice the steak if it is still a little bit frozen. If it is already thawed out, put it in the freezer for about fifteen minutes before you slice it. Generously season with salt and pepper.
Heat a skillet over medium/high heat. Add some olive oil and half of the steak. Cook until browned. Repeat with remaining steak. (Don’t be like me and try to cut corners by browning all of the meat at once.)
Spray a slow cooker with cooking spray. Stir together all of the seasonings, tomato sauce and paste, brown sugar and crushed tomatoes.
Stir in sliced or diced onions. Some of my boys like them sliced so they are easier to pick out. And diced is better for some because they don’t notice it and start devouring. Add the browned round steak and stir until it is all mixed together. Slow cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low 8-9 hours.
Serve on top of baked potatoes, rice or pasta. Garnish with cheese and parsley.
Sweet and Spicy Beef
- 2 pounds round steak
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 8 ounces can of tomato sauce
- 6 ounces can of tomato paste
- 14.5 ounces can of stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- Spray a slow cooker with cooking spray or use a disposable slow cooker liner.
- Dice onion. Drain tomatoes, Slice steak as thinly as possible. See tip below.
- Add sliced steak, onions, drained tomatoes, and the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook in slow cooker for 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.
- Serve over rice, baked potatoes, or pasta.
- Garnish with grated cheese and chopped parsley if desired.