How I love rhubarb!! I love being able to go out to the garden and pick it fresh. It makes me feel self-sufficient. A while ago we had some neighbors over for dinner. I decided that I would make this for dessert and our company couldn’t quit talking about this cake. Rhubarb Cobbler Cake is the perfect taste of summer to me.
Clean and dice some rhubarb into about 1/2 inch pieces.
Sprinkle with sugar and Jell-O.
Sprinkle marshmallows over Jell-O.
The oldest child (who once told me that he was the birthright child, which meant that he would be getting all of my earthly possessions when I died), made the cake for me.
Mix the cake batter according to package directions. Spread over the rhubarb and marshmallows.
Bake. I put aluminum foil over the cake for the last few minutes because it was getting too brown.
Cool. Serve with fresh whipped cream.
Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake with Cake Mix
- 6 cups diced rhubarb
- 3 ounce package strawberry Jello
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 18.25 ounce white cake mix prepared as package directs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 whole eggs
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, or line it with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray. Using parchment paper of aluminum foil makes it easier to flip the cake upside down. Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Dice rhubarb in about 1/2 inch pieces. Spread rhubarb and marshmallows in the bottom of the prepared dish. Sprinkle dry Jello and sugar over the rhubarb. Use a rubber spatula to gently mix.
- Prepare the cake mix as directed on the package. Pour over the rhubarb mixture. Don't stir.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Either cool the cake in the pan and flip individual pieces upside down to make it an upside-down cake. Or, as soon as the cake has finished baking run a knife around the edges to loosen the cake. Set a heatproof plate or serving dish over the baking dish and carefully turn the plate and pan over to release the cake onto the serving dish. Leave the cake pan inverted over the serving dish for a minute to allow any extra strawberry custard to release and drizzle over the cake. Remove the pan.
- Cool. Serve with whipped cream. Store cake in the refrigerator.