Hot Fudge Pudding Cake is magical! A warm, thick, hot fudge sauce is created as the chocolate cake bakes! My mom used to make this old-fashioned cake when I was a kid and I love it just as much now as I did then!
This is the cake my husband requests most often!
I can’t even tell you how comforting this cake is on a cold day! The actual cake is moist and so chocolatey and amazing on it’s own.
But that warm pudding layer on the bottom is where it’s at! It really is everything you love about a hot fudge sundae and chocolate cake all in one! Top it with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and you’ve got the whole package!
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
- Simple ingredients – You’ll need the most simple ingredients to make this cake. It’s the best chocolate cake without eggs!
- Less than 30 minutes of hands-on time. No cooling time is needed so you can be eating this cake in less than 60 minutes!
- No fancy equipment needed to make this! YOu’ll need a bowl, a wooden spoon or spatula, and a few measuring cups and spoons.
- Sugars: granulated and brown
- Flour: all-purpose
- Cocoa: Dutch-processed or natural
- Baking powder: make sure it’s not expired
- Salt: regular table salt
- Milk: whole, 2%, or skim
- Butter: salted or unsalted
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE PUDDING CAKE:
STEP 1: Mix dry ingredients together. (NOTE: I didn’t whisk them together. Don’t be like me!)
STEP 2: Add wet ingredients. Stir.
STEP 3: Spread cake in pan. Add topping.
STEP 4: Pour water over cake. Make sure it’s hot water.
STEP 5: Don’t stir the cake!!!!! This is really important because it’s going to create the best hot fudge pudding sauce!
STEP 6: Bake.
Yes! It can be made up to a day ahead of time. It’s best served warm, so you might want to microwave it before serving.
Yes. Cover with wrap. It will last in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
I have no idea! It’s magical and it works!
OTHER EASY CHOCOLATE DESSERTS
If you’re like me, you’ve gotta get your chocolate fix every. single. day. Here are a few really easy dessert recipes that will be perfect even on busy days.
- No-bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies – quick and easy
- Picnic Cake – another vintage cake recipe
- Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce – five-minute recipe
- S’mores Chocolate Mug Cake – microwave cake
- Hot Chocolate Sundae Cake – another chocolate pudding cake with marshmallows
Hot Fudge Pudding Cake
Ingredients for the Cake Batter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon optional
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Ingredients for Topping the Cake
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 Tablespoons cocoa
- 1 1/4 cups hottest tap water
To serve with the cake (optional)
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Whipped Cream
Instructions for making the cake batter.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a square, or round, 9" x 9" baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl add 3/4 granulated sugar, flour, 3 Tablespoons cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together. Whisk.
- Melt butter. Add vanilla and milk. Stir.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir until combined.
- Spread cake in prepared baking dish.
Instructions for making the topping
- Mix brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cocoa together. (I use the same bowl I used for making the cake batter. I don't even wash between the two). Sprinkle over cake in baking dish. Do NOT stir.
- Pour hottest tap water over the cake batter and cake topping. Do NOT stir.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Let sit for 15 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.