German pancakes are one of our favorites for breakfast. They are yummy and only take a few minutes to make. And I always have the ingredients. We usually eat German Pancakes with maple syrup. Since the warm spring weather always makes me crave fresh food I decided to freshen it up a bit. I switched it up with fresh strawberries and orange yogurt cream. It was a hit with the boys and was still super easy.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Put half a cube of butter in a 9 x 13 glass baking dish and put it in the oven while it is preheating.
Crack 6 eggs and add them to the blender.
Add 1 cup of milk to the blender.
Add 1 cup of flour and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the blender.
I love to add a little vanilla. I’m too lazy to wash the measuring spoon. So just guess. The more the merrier. Then blend it until the ingredients are all combined.
By now the butter should be melted. Pour the batter into the butter. Mmm. Butter. Put it in the over and bake for 15-20 minutes until it is golden brown and puffy.
My favorite part is the middle with all that pooled up butter on top. Now its ready to slice and serve.
Orange Yogurt Cream
Making the orange yogurt cream is super easy. I whipped it up while the pancakes where in the oven.
Add 1 cup of heavy whipping cream to the bowl of an electric mixer.
Yes, I’m still to lazy to even get the tablespoon out. So just guess and add a couple tablespoons of sugar.
Add a couple tablespoons of brown sugar and mix it all up until stiff peaks form. And because I’m still not used to taking pictures of every step you will have to imagine. Mix 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt with orange zest. Then fold the whipped cream into the yogurt mixture.
Top the pancakes with sliced strawberries and orange yogurt cream sauce. Garnish with extra orange zest if you feel like being fancy and can talk your boys into waiting that long!!
- 9" x 13" Pan
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 6 whole eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Optional Orange Yogurt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- orange zest
- sliced Strawberries
Instructions for making puff pancakes
- Put butter in a 9 x 13 glass baking dish. Put baking dish and butter in the oven while you preheat the oven at 400 degrees. Take the pan out as soon as the butter is melted.
- Add milk, eggs, salt, flour and vanilla to a blender. Blend just until all ingredients are blended.
- Pour the pancake batter on top of the melted butter into the baking dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes. The pancakes will be puffy and golden brown on the edges.
Instructions for Orange Yogurt
- Using a wire whisk, whisk heavy cream and sugars until peaks form.
- Mix yogurt and orange zest. Fold whipped cream into yogurt mixture.
- Top pancakes with sliced strawberries and orange yogurt cream. Garnish with additional orange zest.