I love Mexican food! Good enchiladas have got to be at the top of the list! It hits the spot most of the time! The day I decided to make these I had LOTS of leftover shredded roast beef in my fridge. I knew I wanted to turn them into enchiladas. My Mom’s friend shared a recipe for Layered Mexican Casserole with her. My mom shared it with me. I tweaked it a little to include the leftover beef. Thanks to her friend for a yummy recipe! This stack is good! It’s even better the next day. Which gives this recipe some serious bonus points. Let’s face it, sometimes a girl needs a recipe that can be made in advance and still be a winner at the table!
Mix together shredded beef, sour cream, onions and cumin. Oh and last but definitely not least, shredded cheese.
Spread some salsa in the bottom of a greased, deep 2 quart round baking dish. I only made half of the recipe so my dish was not as deep as you would need if you are making the whole recipe!
On top of salsa layer a flour tortilla, then spread with some beef filling.
We are going to do that process all over again. Salsa, tortilla and then filling. Repeat ending with a tortilla shell.
Sprinkle a good amount of shredded colby jack cheese on top. Adding in a little pepper jack would be delish too!
Spray aluminum foil with non stick baking spray. Cover enchilada stack with aluminum foil, greased side down. Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and begins to get crispy.
Cut in wedges. Top with diced tomatoes, fresh cilantro and sour cream.
Since I already had the shredded roast beef in the fridge this was a cinch to throw together. My whole family loved it, and you know how rare it is to find a recipe the whole family will love! You should make it today…and eat it tomorrow!
Beef Enchilada Stack
- 3 c. shredded beef
- 2 c. sour cream
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 c. onion diced
- 3 c. shredded colby jack cheese divided
- 1 12 oz jar of salsa
- 8 flour tortillas
- Mix together beef, onion, sour cream 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese and cumin.
- Grease a deep dish, 2 quart, round baking dish.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of salsa in the bottom of pan. Place tortilla on top of salsa. Spread about 1/2 cup meat mixture on tortilla.
- Repeat the steps beginning with salsa, then tortilla, then meat mixture. End with a tortilla then top with salsa. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover with greased foil. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 5-10 more minutes. Or until cheese begins to get crispy on the edges.
- Let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges. Serve with diced tomatoes and sour cream.
tried this recipe?
Make sure to share it with me! Leave a review or tag me on Instagram
We had this for dinner! It was a PERFECT way for me to use up a bunch of “leftovers” and food about ready to expire that I had in the fridge. This recipe came at the perfect time! THANK YOU!!!
Amy Engberson says
I LOVE using up leftovers! And Mexican food…that is an everyday staple that I never get sick of! Glad you enjoyed it!
Hi! Looks great! What type if salsa did you use? Homemade?
Amy Engberson says
I did use homemade because that is what I had around. I’m sure whatever your favorite salsa brand is would be perfect!
Trish - Mom On Timeout says
Dang girl! This looks SO good and I know my family would love it! Pinning!