These little grilled cheese breakfast sandwiches make it into our breakfast rotation about once a week. I like them for lots of reasons. First, because I’m a huge grilled cheese fan and the world seems right when we eat them for breakfast. Second, I race my kids when I make them. I try to make these sandwiches before they can get dressed, make their beds and say their prayers. I almost always win! If I lost I figure out how to cheat! I gotta win! Finally, I love them because I can grill enough of them for my whole family on my griddle, no other pans necessary. Hey, I don’t like doing dishes and once the kids are at school I’m stuck with the dishes.
Here ya go…Fry some eggs on your griddle (no picture). While the eggs are frying, butter the insides of the a split English muffin. The insides will become he outsides. Stack each muffin with the buttered sides together (in the middle). Top the unbuttered side of one slice of English muffin with a slice of cheddar cheese.
Pile some deli ham on top of the cheese.
By now the eggs should be done frying. Stack them on top of the ham.
You guessed it, one more slice of cheese.
Your grill should still be heated to medium heat from frying the eggs. Set the sandwiches, buttered side on the outside, down on the griddle.
Grill until golden brown and cheese is melting. Flip sandwiches and grill the other side until golden.
There are many days in our lives when the boys simply don’t have time to grab breakfast before they head out the door. These sandwiches are great for an on the go breakfast. (Look my babies chubby hands are not going to be chubby for much longer. Boo!!)
This sandwich was for me. Since I’m not a pansy, like my boys, I used pepper jack cheese. Yum! It was just the right amount of spicy to get me going in the morning!
Grilled Cheese English Muffin Breakfast Sandwiches
- 1 egg
- 2 slices of cheddar cheese
- 2 slices deli ham
- 2 tsp. butter
- 1 English muffin
- Fry egg over medium heat (I use a large griddle and make 5 of these at a time.
- Meanwhile, split English muffin in half. Butter the insides (which will become the outsides).
- Set a slice of cheese on one of the un-buttered sides of the English muffin.
- Pile ham on top of cheese slice.
- Set fried egg on top of ham.
- Add remaining slice of cheese to egg.
- Top with the other half of the English muffin. Set the buttered side on the outside.
- Grill the sandwich over medium heat. Flip the sandwich to the other side when it's golden brown and cheese is melted. Grill the other side until golden.
- Serve warm!